Does this sound reasonable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
A while back I posted about getting some planer and joiner knives sharpened. Thanks to responses here I got information on a few services that have pickups in Durham. I went with one that had a pickup in a location near me, however I'll admit, I didn't do much homework in terms of costs.

I have no experience in this type of service so I'm don't really know if what I was charged was reasonable (though, when I paid the bill, I was surprised) The point of the post is to figure out 1) was the cost reasonable, 2) if not, what should I do about it?

I dropped off 4 12" planer knives and 3 6" joiner knives, the bill with tax was $104. I called the company who did the sharpening, for stuff brought directly to them they chard $1/in which would have been $66. I also called the location that that was the dropoff/pickup point, they said they add 25% to the invoice for the service (much to their credit they said if I was unhappy, they'd make it right) so there was an additional fee for the transportation.

For the record, I have no problem paying a fair price for a service. I just need to know if this was fair. I don't have the experience or knowlege to know.

Thanks,

Travis

mxracer

New User
Dan
Travis,

SORRY, read that wrong. I read $1 per inch. So as stated below $1 per FOOT sounds like a great deal.

Can't speak to the service fee for the transport as I am close enough to run mine to the sharpener, but I will tell you that $1 per foot is double what I pay over here in Hickory for the sharpening service. I have a 20" planer and the 4 blades only cost me $40 to get sharpened.

Dan

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Watch those service charges. They will eat you up especially if they add on a % instead of a flat fee. Where the blades sharpened to your satisfaction? If so make sure you do your homework next time. Closer is not alway cheaper.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Seems a bit high to me. I would call Raleigh Saw and see what they charge. A lot of places that take drop offs that are local just send to Raleigh Saw and add a mark up.

wayne

New User
wayne
Maybe I'm reading this wrong you people keep quoting 1.00 a foot that would be 4.00 for the 4 12" blades and 1.50 for the 3 6" blades long ways from 104.00.On the other hand 1.00 per inch would be 48.00 for the 4 12" blades and 18.00 for the three 6" blades for a total of 64.00 plus 16.00 for markup plus tax that leaves around 25.00 for pickup and delivery,Look at it any way you want but as far as the markup and delivery price thats not a bad figure. As for the dollar an inch fee probably not out of reason for the area you are in. Just my take from a self-employed business perspective, could you have done better if you had discussed price up front maybe, maybe not.

Wayne

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I'm fairly sure that Raleigh Saw is 50cents/inch for those blades, at least that's what I think I paid about a year ago.

DavidF

New User
David
Sorry, sorry! Typo, $1/inch..... $12 per planer knife, $6 per joiner knife....

Ah.... Now I don't feel so bad, $1/inch is WAY high in that case. My last blades at Raleigh saw were about $0.60/in I think. I don't feel as they did as good a job on my saw blade as Dynamic saw, but that could have been a one off. I think they took too much of the sides of the teeth.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Seems like the general consensus is it was pretty expensive all the way around. I guess the next question is what should I do about it?. The guy at the drop off point said he'd make it right but I'm really not sure it's his responsibility. The good news is I now have two sets (I bought a new set of knives for joiner as I only had one) of sharp knives for each machine. I'm guessing it will be a while before I need to do this again. Think I need to take further action or just consider the lesson learned?

Thanks,

Travis

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would suggest lesson learned. You have two sets, which I am a believer in having, so whenever you get a set dull, mail them and get them sharpened. Eliminate the middle man.

DavidF

New User
David
I would say lesson learned. You signed up for $1/in when you gave them the order. They just won't get the business next time. A word in their ear to that effect might get them to come in to line with other suppliers though.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I'd call it a lesson learned. You now have sharp knives so you can press on. For that price, tho, you may want to see what new will cost for the future. I can get 3 double edge 12 1/2" planer knives for less than $60, and I don't think the joiner knives are that much. Depends on the machine, tho.

Go

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Convience has a cost. That is why I use a flat rate box from post office and ship them to Dynamic Saw. A drive over to either Raleigh Saw, or Ashcrofts is a minimum of a two hour trip, times two (drop off, and pick up.) Lost work time, and gas, makes shipping cost very reasonable, if not CHEAP! With shipping being so easy, it makes no sense to me to even think about driving my blades over. Post office is five minutes from the house, but you can order flat rate boxes on line, print out postage, and arrange for pick up without ever going to the actual post office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors