Does Scott Smith Have One Of These?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
While perusing the latest Popular Science, I saw a picture of the Stihl MS 880 Magnum:
Bar length: 5ft 11in
Max chain speed: 59mph
8.6 HP
Uses 89 Octane (I'm guessing non-ethanol)
33.1 lbs

Yours for only $2200

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Would not surprise me if he did and maxed it out!
Seems like he had himself and an 880 in his avatar at one time.
NCFS District 9 had one at the district office a while back and never used it. Truly a beast to lug on a fire line.
A 440 with a 36" bar did the biggest they needed usually. Any bigger and they had the tractor take it out.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
If he had one I am sure replaced the stock motor with a V-8 or at the least converted to run on 3 phase.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
You guys crack me up!

I actually DON'T own an 088 or 094. Almost bought one but did not like the fact that none of my bars, chains or other spare parts would work with it. I buy chain in bulk and all of my saw's and slabber use the same pitch chain.

Instead, I took an 066 Magnum and had it fully rebuilt with oversized piston, carb, etc. It pulls a 48" bar pretty well in oak.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
You guys crack me up!

I actually DON'T own an 088 or 094. Almost bought one but did not like the fact that none of my bars, chains or other spare parts would work with it. I buy chain in bulk and all of my saw's and slabber use the same pitch chain.
Instead, I took an 066 Magnum and had it fully rebuilt with oversized piston, carb, etc. It pulls a 48" bar pretty well in oak.

:wwink:But what size saw do use for the big stuff Scott?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
:wwink:But what size saw do use for the big stuff Scott?

This sized saw....

attachment.php

Attachments

• Scott and logsD.JPG
    Scott and logsD.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 180

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
I've run a stock 660 before. No thanks to a hot rod. But I was fascinated with the 090G for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors