Does current Powermatic 18" bed extensions fit older model 3520A lathes?

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Just wondering if anyone has purchased a Powermatic 18" bed extension (6294727B) for a Model 3520A? My manual lists the extension as 6294727 without the "B" at the end. I know the current extensions won't mount low since the 3520A doesn't have the holes in the legs. But will the new extensions mount at the end of the existing bed to increase spindle turning length?

I called Powermatic and they said no, but the gentlemen helping me did not sound very sure about it. On Amazon, someone asked this same question and 2 people replied that it did work when mounting at the top of the 3520A. Just wanted to see if anyone here had direct experience on this.

Thanks

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have the 3520A lathe and ordered the extension. I had to drill and tap holes to mount it to my lathe. Did not realize when I ordered it that I would have to do that. Ended up with a good mount and all works well. Just be careful on the placement of the new holes. Jerry
Just wondering if anyone has purchased a Powermatic 18" bed extension (6294727B) for a Model 3520A? My manual lists the extension as 6294727 without the "B" at the end. I know the current extensions won't mount low since the 3520A doesn't have the holes in the legs. But will the new extensions mount at the end of the existing bed to increase spindle turning length?

I called Powermatic and they said no, but the gentlemen helping me did not sound very sure about it. On Amazon, someone asked this same question and 2 people replied that it did work when mounting at the top of the 3520A. Just wanted to see if anyone here had direct experience on this.

Thanks

blackhawk

Brad
Corporate Member
Jerry - Thanks for the info. That doesn't sound too bad to do. Seems really odd that Powermatic would change the hole pattern when they went to the B models. That sure reduces their extension bed sales for the A people that don't won't to tackle modifying their lathe. Maybe Powermatic had to change the extension hole pattern so it would work with the B models when mounted low onto the legs.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors