Does anyone remember Eagle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeH

New User
Mike
After making several pens including the Flame pen I had to take a minute and think about Eagle. He was a rare breed and I still miss his input to pen turning.

Does anyone else remember Eagle?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
He was an impressive artist indeed! We talked on the phone and that man had a way that made me feel good about things. I've heard stories about his gruffness - usually from people that wanted his tricks, and followed by something akin to - he wouldn't even show me how to " do whatever"... He was forthcoming, but seemed to prefer to help you figure things out for yourself. Not necessarily a bad way to be imo.
Think there are still some pictures of his work in the gallery, and once in a while I'll see a post about one of his blanks on another forum.
Like Mike, I never met him face to face but I sure wish I'd gotten to.

MikeH

New User
Mike
He was an impressive artist indeed! We talked on the phone and that man had a way that made me feel good about things. I've heard stories about his gruffness - usually from people that wanted his tricks, and followed by something akin to - he wouldn't even show me how to " do whatever"... He was forthcoming, but seemed to prefer to help you figure things out for yourself. Not necessarily a bad way to be imo.
Think there are still some pictures of his work in the gallery, and once in a while I'll see a post about one of his blanks on another forum.
Like Mike, I never met him face to face but I sure wish I'd gotten to.

He surely didn't like it when someone asked him how he did something. He tried to inspire and encourage people to think through it themselves and come up with the answer. Definitely an artist!

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I remember him well. He was one of the most creative turners I was aware of.

Miss seeing his work on NCWW.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I take it he is more than "no longer part of NCWW"

Do we have his pictures?

I tried to search the gallery, but didn't find any - might be cool to try to put some of his stuff together in a "memorial post"

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I met him....actually sold him a dust collector.....we chatted for over an hour...very pleasant lad

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
100_3769.jpg here ya go.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
Unfortunately I never had the pleasure of speaking with or meeting him, but his influence is in so many pen designs and tutorials I've come across. He definitely left his mark on the community.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
I chatted with him when I first started turning pens, he gave me some great ideas and input, was a great encouragement to me. I hadn't thought about him in a long while, but can say I do miss his work and discussions.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Here's another.

EagleSC.jpg

I knew eagle almost from the beginning of the site. I met him through woodguy and insomnia at the 2005 Klingspor extravaganza. He was one of the most interesting people I have ever met.

gator

George
Corporate Member
In the very early days, Eagle used to come up to informal face to face gatherings we had back in those days. Great man and friend.

George

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I take it he is more than "no longer part of NCWW"

Do we have his pictures?

I tried to search the gallery, but didn't find any - might be cool to try to put some of his stuff together in a "memorial post"

Sadly be passed away unexpectedly. Must be 5-6 years ago. It was a shock to us all. He is missed.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I was pleased to see that Bertha found the album that included some of Eagle's work in my gallery from a fun event we had at Woodguy's old shop in Hickory back in 2007 -- we were there for the unveiling of a big Moak bandsaw that Woodguy had restored. Lots of familiar faces there -- Toolferone, cskipper and Al Spicer to name a few. Al was a very accomplished scroll sawyer and had complete plans for some of his cathedral works. Eagle had lots of his pens there, too. Nice guy and a real wizard in visualizing the cylindrical results of his complex lamination pen blanks.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
When I worked at the Charlotte Klingspore store Eagle came up several times. We talked a lot. He was showing and talking about making pens of corncobs, news paper, fabric etc. Also about the SC store for artist. A great guy! I think Eagle could make a pen out of anything including water. And, a fine pen it would be. I wondered about him several times and did not know he was gone. We'll miss him.

Pop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors