Does anyone own/use a Performax 16/32?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
I have a few questions about the Jet/Performax 16/32 sander.
Does anyone own/use one of these? Would you be willing to entertain a few questions regarding the sander? I have a few questions that an owner may be able to answer.
Thanks,
Ron

DavidF

New User
David
Does anyone own/use one of these? Would you be willing to entertain a few questions regarding the sander? I have a few questions that an owner may be able to answer.
Thanks,
Ron

Yes, I have one - love it. If you want to come over and have a play, I am not too far away in Pittsboro.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
Thanks,
Ron
I've got one and use it a lot. It does have a learning curve however. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It does??? Oops, I must be missing something vital :eusa_doh::rotflm:

You probably circumvented the learning curve pulling the dial indicator and gauges out, plus you played with mine some so that probably helped.:wwink:

A couple of things I have learned is do not try to sand out glue blobs. It ruins the paper.

Lastly, a Wixey gauge on one is a wonderful thing!

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
It does??? Oops, I must be missing something vital :eusa_doh::rotflm:
My problems were trying to sand off too much at a time also thinking it was going to be a finish sander and as Travis says its not a glue scraper. After I caught on every thing is fine :slap:

DavidF

New User
David
Ok, one thing I did learn at Travis' is not to use 100g! 150 makes a very good all purpose grit. Material comes off quickly and leaves a finish good enough to go straight to the ROS. I normally lower the drum by max 1/4 turn each time and keep the conveyor speed around 50 - 60%

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
I'll be contacting you guys. I had the great fortune of being the first person to reply to a CL ad.
The unit came with a large variety of grits.
This unit even has 36 grit included...after the comments about 100 grit I could probably use the 36 grit as a planer.

I have a 1.5 HP DC unit. How is the dust collection work on the unit.

Thanks for the info...expect a PM soon!

Ron

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have a 22-44 pro, so our mileage is going to differ, but they are very similar.

For mine, dust collection is the PITS. I am not impressed with it, it does ok, but misses a lot and I have a 3 HP cylcone.

I don't know that I would ever use 36 grit. David's comments about 100 grit are right on. I am moving up in grit as I get rid of what I have on hand. Again, I would DEFINITIVELY recommend getting a Wixey gauge. It took me a while to figure out how to mount it, but it is a definite plus for no more than it costs.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Ron, I have one too, and if you're looking for someone closer I'll show you what I know about it. Only used the 36 grit if you are wanting to make fluted boards. The linear sanding nature of the machine will really leave some very hard to remove grooves in your stock with a course grit.

Dave:)

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Thanks for all of the replies,
I'll start locally with Dave and Dick.
I'm sure I'll get the info I'm looking for.
I have already gotten some of the answers. I was thinking that the lower grits were too rough and would leave less than optimal results.
I wanted to see how the DC hose routing works best.
I also want to see the bases that the units you have are on. the legs on my base are spread very wide. I'm considering making a cabinet base with storage and needed to see how wide/deep they needed to be. the Jet stands seem to be narrower than the Performax stands.
I am in the middle of reorganizing my shop to optimize th elimited space I have. That is my Saturday project or I would be attending the shop crawl.

Thanks!
Ron

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
My base sits very wide and I am not thrilled with the floor space it takes up. I am not sure how I could modify it to make it a smaller foot print.

garymuto

New User
Gary
My base sits very wide and I am not thrilled with the floor space it takes up. I am not sure how I could modify it to make it a smaller foot print.
I have the 22-44 Plus Open stand and have only used 80 and 100 grit. I've scraped before sanding glue ups and that works well. My dust collection is good, but I'm only using 10 feet of flex hose. I was sold on this choice for the capacity and the sandsmart® feature.
I picked up four locking swivel casters from Rockler for $20 (normally$38 for 4) and they work well. Much less expensive than the Jet casters.

Enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS