Does anyone know the brand of this vintage lathe?

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
I've made inquiries about it. The owner says the brand has long since been painted over.
$_59.JPG

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Based on the obvious Reeves drive system I'd say it's an early model ShopSmith or a knockoff.

FlyingRon

Ron
This one is not quite the same, but close... Yates-American.

1608-A.jpg

The stand looks very similar as does the way the motor mounts to the headstock.
Oddly, YA is still in business. Maybe they can help identify it: Yates American

Last edited:

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Yeah it DOES look similar to a Yates-American. Thanks! Unfortunately finding parts for it seems like a non-starter. I'll have to see if the current owner has the tailstock pieces hanging out somewhere. Does anybody have experience with this type of lathe?

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
OK I got some more pics. Judging by the design/font of the speed indicator I'm pretty confident it is indeed a Yates American. But I got a better look at the headstock... what the heck is this? It looks like it's a drill press attachment for the lathe. Well I've answered my question but has anyone seen something like this before?

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have one I mount on my tailstock, not the headstock. And it is a drill chuck. The work piece spins and the drill bit stays stationary. The tailstock advances the drill bit.

awldune

Sam
User
Very big machine but not very capable as lathe. 800 minimum RPM and long, thin spindle means you are not going to want to turn bowls (or big spindles) on it. 9/16'' spindle will make it hard to fit a 4-jaw chuck. I think you could have a machinist make a custom adapter.

That said, it is a very cool piece of old iron. If they are selling cheap enough, it would be worth picking up just to have the stand.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS