Do you use a biscuit joiner and if so, for what?

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
I have a Domino but still use my Lamello biscuit a lot. I like that I don't have to think as much with a biscuit cutter as I do with the Domino. LOL. You can use each in different ways but the biscuit joiner registers off the bottom side while the Domino usually measures off the fence above the blade. This can make the Domino more fiddly. It is easy not to get it exactly square when balancing it on the end of a board. The biscuit joiner will just register off the workbench which more stable.
I agree with those above defending the strength of the biscuit. While the biscuit can slide end to end a little to make it easier to assemble, the sides are a tight fit. In addition to that they are compressed and will swell when wet with glue and get even tighter. I don't know where the idea came from that they are only for alignment but I suspect it got started when they first came out from traditionalists that thought only a hand cut mortise and tenon was acceptable.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Years ago, a Yankee WoodWorker persuaded me I needed a PC557.

For the last twenty years, I’ve successfully used that 557 to hold a shelf down. Never used it to cut a biscuit slot or anything else.

...and now (true story) my wife loves to look me in the eyes and say “biscuit” with a Boston accent.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Years ago, a Yankee WoodWorker persuaded me I needed a PC557.

For the last twenty years, I’ve successfully used that 557 to hold a shelf down. Never used it to cut a biscuit slot or anything else.

...and now (true story) my wife loves to look me in the eyes and say “biscuit” with a Boston accent.
Sorry to laugh, but that’s funny. Must have been a good sales pitch.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I've got one. Used it a little when I first got it. Now I use it to loan out to friends when they need something like that. Beats loaning out my Domino. :D

Craig C

Craig
User
Another vote for tabletop-to-apron slots and panel glue up to keep alignment. . As others said, goof proof and quick.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS