Do you put anything over Milk Paint?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I too have used the General Finishes version of milk paint. I have followed up with GF High Performance clear satin water based poly. Usually give it about 3 sprayed coats of topcoat and seems to hold up well.

Wayne

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I give it a rub coat of spar/BLO/sprits. Makes it look old and worn.

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Are we talking real no kidding milk paint or the stuff that is supposed to look like milk paint?

Real milk paint can benefit from boiled linseed or wax. Some leave it raw to naturally age.

Some of it depends on the end state you’re trying to achieve.

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I think the answer to your question depends on your application. Is this Kitchen/Bath or is it something not subject to much wear/tear? GF has recommendations on when to use a topcoat and when you should use more than a satin poly. The GF milk paint is fine on its own. Their satin poly works well as a topcoat, adding some protection without changing the sheen much, like Wayne suggested. I don’t have experience with the other topcoats over GF milk paint.

riverstwo

New User
Randy
I milk painted my tool chest as well. I tested a few finishes on some scrap and settled on a coat of BLO then some paste wax.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the BLO makes the painted surface look, I have also used shellac over milk paint. I'm sure there are other finishes that I haven't tried that would do great

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I've used the real deal and have left it as is and also topcoated with a danish oil as seen on my pewter cupboard. It gave me the look I wanted. Even the as is has lasted over 25 years and looks just like the day I applied it.

Red

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS