Do you bleed for your work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
BTDT. Most all of it except the dust collector bit. I often get minor cuts when carving - well actually not carving itself (very careful with that) - its picking up and setting down the tools that gets me every time.

I had a brush with the belt sander at the last outreach - we keep band-aids on the trailer and Klingspor also had one.

Band-aids are your friend.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Yep and I found super glue to be friend for minor cuts. I think I seen somewhere they make some kind of medical super glue for the same purpose.

Last edited:

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Like most, I tend to leave my "mark" on my projects. I just try to keep it too a few drops. Jim

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Yep and I found supper glue to be friend for minor cuts. I think I seen somewhere they make some kind of medical supper glue for the same purpose.

I used the thick CA glue on the finger tip that was manicured by my disk sander. Not only does it stop the bleeding, if you put it on relatively thick and hit it with a shot of accelerator, you can continue to work without pain. Great stuff.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I used the thick CA glue on the finger tip that was manicured by my disk sander. Not only does it stop the bleeding, if you put it on relatively thick and hit it with a shot of accelerator, you can continue to work without pain. Great stuff.
Glad I'm not the only one that uses CA glue to stop the blood. I have several tubes in my bug out bag also.

frankc4113

Frank C
Corporate Member
I bleed almost every time I open the shop door. I'm looking to buy Band Aids wholesale. It's just about taken for granted that every piece I make has some red on it somewhere. Actually there are times I don't even know I cut myself until the stream of blood appears.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I usually get splinters or what is like a paper cut from the sharp transition of the top to the edge of hardwoods. One of my pet-peeves is how hard it is to put on band aids with blood trying to create a mess. It seems like they could come up with better packaging. I need to keep some super glue around. I have used it but don't have any at the moment. Should be easier to manage one handed.

That doesn't mean I haven't had my share of stiches. But those are rare. Last instance was in 2013 (but that was two nasty mess ups).

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
1) Splinters
2) Wood edges
3) Chisels
4) Planer, or Plane Blades
5) Misc sharp metal edges, etc.

woodworkingshop.com

Coleman
User
No, the machine that makes me bleed is the 12" disk sander. For some reason, I cannot seem to refrain from giving myself a manicure at least four times a year while using it. The injury to my left middle finger is last night's tangle with the rotary beast. Some skin and a piece of fingernail are the latest casualties of my carelessness. That machine gets no respect I tell you - no respect!

What makes you bleed?

Just like Klingspor's Woodworking Shop and KLINGSPOR Abrasives,

ABRASIVE and proud of it!

Make sure not to touch that sander while spinning a 36 grit AZ PLANER disk on there, would not be pretty!

Coleman

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Just like Klingspor's Woodworking Shop and KLINGSPOR Abrasives,

ABRASIVE and proud of it!

Make sure not to touch that sander while spinning a 36 grit AZ PLANER disk on there, would not be pretty!

Coleman
Speaking of sand paper and flesh. This is a true story. When I was a teen back in the late 70's a friend of mine got a tattoo on his bicep. He can home all proud of it and showed his dad. His dad took him to the garage and handing him an electric sander and said get the crap off your arm. My friend never did sand the tatoo off his arm and his dad stayed ####ed at him for years because he wouldn't sand it off of his arm.

mayszs

New User
Zack
I the most predictable cuts are from plane irons when sharpening them.
Like most of us I cut myself regularly on lumber but the one that sticks out most in my mind was having a 6"x14"x12' pine beam fall from the narrow to wide face catching my shin as it went.
Nothing quite like having a good chunk of the skin on your shin peeled off by a fresh cut beam.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
Gotta watch those Gremlins! Allen is right. When you age the fat layer under your skin goes away. This lets those capillaries move up just under the skin. I get bruises just looking at something. Not much problem with splinters. I have 2 or 3 of those little tweezers that Coleman sells. Even have on on my key clip. On the subject of disc sanders. I manage to engage my knuckles about every 2 or 3 years as long as it takes for mew to forget. Dang that hurts. It's not a cut it's a burn. Very slow to heal. My DNA is not just on projects, it's all over my shop.
:rotflm:
Pop

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
Some years ago, I had a run in with my belt sander. Finger got pulled between the guard and roller. I could see that it was cut but unsure how bad. Home alone, I didn't dare try to get it off by myself. Called my in laws for a lift. It's amazing how fast they take you into Moses Cone Hospital when you have a tool attached. Funny thing is, I had to tell then how to take the sander apart. When I asked for a bag for the parts, they looked at me strange. I told them there was nothing wrong with the sander and I sure didn't want to purchase a new one.

Duane

Barry W

Co-Director of Outreach
Barry
Corporate Member
. . . One of my pet-peeves is how hard it is to put on band aids with blood trying to create a mess. It seems like they could come up with better packaging. . . . .

These bandages don't come in an easy-open package but they have the best adhesive I've seen on "band-aids." They also fit fingers perfectly. I learned about them in the ER earlier this summer when I had my encounter with my table saw. (Details here) I ordered a box of 50 from Amazon.com.

BSN Bandage.PNG

redknife

Chris
Corporate Member
I always get it when I'm not expecting it- the board edge to the leg, the sander, etc.

As a professional "people-fixer", I'll offer unsolicited general bleeding thoughts:
Hold direct firm pressure and don't look for a while.
For perspective, we routinely hold pressure in the OR and set a time to keep the pressure held. I usually set a firm time so that the human tendency to look and check is thwarted. We even use pressure for oozing in the aorta, liver, vena cava, etc. It is hard to convey how effective direct pressure can be to stop even impressive bleeding. The rule of thumb is that if the bleeding runs out through the gauze (not just changing the color), change plans.
Extremities are a common place for injuries and ACE wraps can be very effective over gauze to stop oozing. Some of you are probably on aspirin, plavix, or warfarin and even minor cuts can keep oozing. ACE wraps can be very helpful. The wrap should be snug where you can just get about two fingers between layers. I use ACE wraps all of the time to stop bleeding in the legs and arms. (I even use it for massive facial bleeding around the head when the person is intubated and sedated). ACE wraps are a big help when doing minor extremity surgery in the office (or immediately postop in the hospital).
All of that is to say, the more the bleeding, the more pressure should be held. I keep gauze pads and ACE wraps at the house for life's minor hemorrhagic or edematous events. Sure, little trickles- clean it up, bacitracin, and slap a bandaid on. More than that, pressure is your friend.
I feel obliged: these are general thoughts based on my training and practice. When in doubt, go to Ed, call 911, consult your doc, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors