Do Nothing & Ellipse Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Kids love these things and it only takes an hour. Also, good for drawing an oval.

DoNothingToy001.jpg

macdaddy

New User
Steve
I haven't seen one of these in awhile. Do you have the demensions handy? I would like to build one and it appears to me that if the moving parts were too long it would stop the whole thing.

Thanks,

macdaddy

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I usually start with a square 5 or 6 inches. Makes it simple to find the centers. I cut the DT slots about 1/2" deep, but first I make scoring cuts on the TS to help the DT bit a little. Also, the scored cut helps me setup the RT fence/bit for the DT cut. After that I move the fence up to cut the male part. I sneak up on this cut. When it fits into the female slot just right, I rip it to whatever height I want, then cut 2 equal lenghts. The slides can be as long as any half slot. Then place a screw hole in the CENTER of each slide. Attach crank; wax slides; have fun!

macdaddy

New User
Steve
Thanks Joe for your very fast reply. I assume that this is all done with a dovetail router bit. I am going to try it as soon as I find the time. Of course that is what every woodworker is really looking for: more shop time.

Thanks again,

macdaddy

DavidF

New User
David
I made one of these once and attached a small router to it to cut a slot for an oval boxwood inlay around a panel of figured mahogany I also routed out. Worked really well. I also have made a half one for a long thin ellipse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS