DIY Wolverine Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Came across a youtuber that made plans for a DIY wolverine vari-grind jig and decided to give it a try. I've been freehanding sharpening my bowl gouges, and I'm too cheap to plunk down $100+ for the real wolverine setup. :D Now I just need to build a base for my sharpener for the jig to sit in.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Youtube Video here

Plans here

Attachments

• IMG_1951.jpg
    IMG_1951.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_1953.jpg
    IMG_1953.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_1955.jpg
    IMG_1955.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 401

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I made one of those a couple years ago and finally gave it away and bought a steel one. It seems to work a little better.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I made one of those a couple years ago and finally gave it away and bought a steel one. It seems to work a little better.
What Mike said. I mucked around with DIY setups for a couple years..finally bought the Oneway grinding base and Wolverine jig. Instant improvement in the quality of the grinding.

-Mark

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I love my Wolverine jig; I use it all the time to keep my chisels sharp. I bought the Vari Grind attachment a few months back, but as yet haven't used it because I haven't been turning any bowls lately. Interesting tool you've made James Davis, and I hope it works well for you!

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
James, Nice looking jig. Is that your normal bowl grind?

BTW, For anyone on the fence about the Wolverine, it’s pretty much the best way to go. I wouldn’t recommend trying to save a couple dollars on a “knock off” version. I don’t want to talk about how I know that :mad:

attachment.php

Attachments

• 64739CC0-6943-4213-8F2C-3EBEA84A9C11.jpg
    64739CC0-6943-4213-8F2C-3EBEA84A9C11.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 234

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
James, Nice looking jig. Is that your normal bowl grind?

BTW, For anyone on the fence about the Wolverine, it’s pretty much the best way to go. I wouldn’t recommend trying to save a couple dollars on a “knock off” version. I don’t want to talk about how I know that :mad:

It’s the grind it had when I bought it, and never had a reason to change it. ;)

Jig works pretty well. Obviously not the same caliber as the real thing, but my expectations were that it A)works reasonably well, and B) is cheap. :) money that can now go to the new lathe fund....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS