Discussion on dado blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
It's probably already out here somewhere, but I am asking about good choice for 10 inch dado blade stacks that give a flat bottom, cut smoothly, and are pretty easy to get accurate dado widths.

I don't want to go broke buying these, but I do know I will need to pay bait. As cost conscious wonder, please tell me your choice, experience, recommendation.

T

tmwassack

Greetings from Asheboro!
If cost is a sticking point, I would consider a 6 or 8 inch dado versus a 10 inch. I have used a Freud SD308 for years and picked up a SD208 for short money, when Lowes had their closeout a couple of years ago. Both give good cuts (even on ply), flat bottoms, and with shims, are pretty adjustable for width.

Just my $.02.

Regards,
Tom Wassack

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Dave:
I bought a set (brand name escapes right now) on clearance at Lowe's a year ago or so, but I haven't used them yet. So I can't comment on their performance. It is clear, to me at least, that I am now a much better WWer since I own a dado set:gar-Bi (I tend to use a router).

If you have a 10" TS, you don't necessarily use a 10" dado set. I'm only familiar with 6 or 8" dado sets being available.

I suppose there are a few reasons for that - one being that it is unlikely you'll need the depth of cut that a 10" set would provide. Also, with as many blades as are on a typical dado set, there is a LOT more blade mass to spin up. Third, I would think that the power requirements on the saw during a dado cut would scale (linearly?) with the cross sectional area of your cut; so a 3/4" wide dado would need 6X a typical 1/8" blade.

Anyways - no real answers out of me today, but I felt the need to (not) answer with at least as much text as your question!

Henry

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
A 10" dado set, or a 6" or 8" dado set?

Unless you have a 14" tablesaw with a minimum 5HP motor you neither want nor need (nor could use) a 10" dado set practically (they will not even fit a standard 5/8" arbor).

For the more typical 6" and 8" dado sets, which are compatible with 10" tablesaw arbors, you have 3 different families to choose from: wobble (single and double), stacked set with shims, and stacked set plus dial adjusted spacing (a choice if your arbor is long enough). For most purposes you will want to avoid wobble dados, but either of the stacked dado strategies are worth considering.

My preference was for the Freud dado sets (SD508 and 608, both 8"). They are not cheap but they are very well made and will last you many years if you take proper care of them.

However, if your tablesaw has less than 2HP then you should seriously consider opting for the 6" dado sets rather than the 8" sets (that's why they manufacture 6" dado sets).

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I wrote a review of the Delta 7670 / Dewalt H7200 dado set from a few years ago. For the price, this set is very hard to beat in quality-to-price competition. My previous was a 6" Freud set that I was also very happy with.

I use an 8" set on my 1.75 HP saw and it has performed just fine for me (a 6" set is not an option for my SawStop).

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Easy choices for 10" dado sets are the Tier1 dado makers like Freud, CMT, Forrest. These makers have 10" versions of their well-known 6/8" sets. Pricey tho.

Because 10" sets are pricey, I would also recommend you consider whether a 8" set would work. A little basic math will tell you the maximum depth of cut available on *your* saw when using an 8" set.

I use this approach myself - I run an 8" Amana dado (bored to 1") on my 14" 5HP :) RAS. Here's a picture of it at work..if I recall correctly, this is cutting a 13/16 x 1" dado in white oak. It makes for a good demonstration of the tendency for RASs to self-feed too !
2011-06-12_11-55-24_84.jpg

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I use a Freud SD508 that I have had for 5-6 years on my 10" Grizzly cabinet saw. It is very accurate (excellent shim stock is included) and cuts both flat bottoms and crisp edges in plywood or hardwoods in either cross grain or long grain cuts. As stated above, unless you have a 12 - 14" saw, an 8" dado set is plenty (after all, it is a rarity to cut a dado deeper than an inch). Highly recommended.

OutfeedLegs.JPG

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I use a Freud SD508 that I have had for 5-6 years on my 10" Grizzly cabinet saw. It is very accurate (excellent shim stock is included) and cuts both flat bottoms and crisp edges in plywood or hardwoods in either cross grain or long grain cuts. As stated above, unless you have a 12 - 14" saw, an 8" dado set is plenty (after all, it is a rarity to cut a dado deeper than an inch). Highly recommended.

+1 on this set. Excellent flat clean cuts in hardwood, softwood and plywoods. Well worth the money.

Red

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I've been happy with the carbide Oshlun SDS-0842 8-Inch 42 Tooth Stack Dado Set. I bought this set instead of any of the others is because the chipper blades are a full tooth design, i.e. they are a full circle. This adds mass but it also smooths the cut and is better balanced compared to wing style chippers. This particular set also provides for a slightly undersized cut to match the nominal thickness of plywood sheet goods. The outer blades are slightly beveled so that it provided less tear out and a smoother cut on the outer edges.

That said, for box joints where we want absolutely square dados you'd need a different type of dado set designed for that purpose. I have those as well and have the best of both worlds without needing to compromise.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
I have the Freud SD206 6" I got from Lowes a few years ago when they were on a big sale. It's okay, but it really doesn't produce a clean flat cut. It's fine for what I will ever do with it, but it always requires some cleaning up.

Tom

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Greetings from Asheboro!
If cost is a sticking point, I would consider a 6 or 8 inch dado versus a 10 inch. I have used a Freud SD308 for years and picked up a SD208 for short money, when Lowes had their closeout a couple of years ago. Both give good cuts (even on ply), flat bottoms, and with shims, are pretty adjustable for width.

Just my $.02.

Regards,
Tom Wassack

+1 to the Freud sets. I have the SD508 (Super Dado) 8" set and love it.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
Oops - My fault. I should never send a question when I am rushed.

First, thanks fro all of the feedback. NOW - Let me calrify and correct my inquiry.
I have a 10" table saw. i only wanted a recommendation for some decent dado blades. I didn't mean to look for 10' dado sets, duh!
Accept my apology and

Thanks for all of the CORECT responses. I will probably go with the Freud set oft recommended.

Had a tiring day buying wood and supplies. Off to bed and wake up fresh - ready to go!

Gonna make some sawdust.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I highly recommend the Freud Dial A Width dado set (SD606/SD608). It is not a wobble blade, so it cuts a flat bottomed groove, but there are no shims and it is easy to make adjustments in 0.004" increments without taking the blade off of the saw. I had one of the cheapest dado sets from Lowes (~$40) and it is certainly sufficient for most tasks, but the Dial A Width dado is a night and day difference. For me it is comparable to using a spiral cutterhead on a jointer/planer. While it is not necessary by any means, it is so much better than what I previously had that I couldn't imagine going back. I got mine from Rockler with one of their 20% off specials that they run periodically.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have and like my Freud "Super Dado", BUT I was working at a woodworking store when the new "Dial-A-Width" came out. I was ready to sit down and cry. The only thing I can think of better might be a dado set from Tenryu.

Pop G

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Another plug for freud....I have the SD 606...dont think I'll ever need more than that

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
+1 for the sd508. I have had mine for almost 4-years now and it always delivers perfectly flat bottom cuts.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another for the Freud 508 stacked set. Before you buy the dial-a width Freud, make sure your arbor shaft is long enough. If I am not mistaken, you need a longer arbor for it. My old Rigid TS3650 saw runs the 508 fine, even though its just a 1 1/2hp saw. The 608 is too wide so I cannot get the arbor nut on with it. With the 3/4" 508 stack, I can get two threads clear after the nut is tightened, but do have to leave off the shoulder washer (not unsafe, and is common practice).

IMHO, the 6" vs 8" debate is a little over-blown. With the 8" you have more mass moving, as well as faster cutting speed on the teeth. As long as you let the saw come up to speed, and don't feed too fast, the 8" cuts fine. With the lower powered saw, reducing the feed speed is a given, even when ripping thick lumber with a 10" blade, so is not going to be new obstacle. I am saying that as related to my experience with a belt driven saw. If the saw is a direct drive, the 6" probably would be a better choice

I went with the 8" to to get more depth when cutting deep dadoes in 2x lumber projects and am glad i did. No problem with cutting shallower ones in oak, etc.

JMTCW

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors