Direct external vent for DC??

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
How have you done that with this set up?
Any photos of your set up would be great.

Still want to collect chips inside, just have the final vent blow outside.

20210711_122136.jpg

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I would only do it with a good cyclone. Of course, it is most likely against EPA rules for particulate emissions.

Gad, all those flex ducts and extra bends.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
True and false, yes a volume of conditioned air is being pumped out but not enough compared to the mass that is still at ambient temperature to make that much of a difference.
I blow dust and chips outside and have not seen any difference with my AC. The "trick" is to have many big heavy tools to hold the temp stabile - good excuse to buy more and bigger.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
You do need air intake. Very dangerous if you have a gas furnace, woodstove etc. as it can backdraft and fill the room with CO.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
You do need air intake. Very dangerous if you have a gas furnace, woodstove etc. as it can backdraft and fill the room with CO.
No furnace or stoves. Just a mini split. Good point though. Can crack the door or a window if there isnt enough air flow when it is running.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
My system pulls make up air from the crawl space and some thru gaps around my doors. I only run the system when I am producing chips - planer, jointer, band saws and table saws - I cycle it on and off when the equipment is in use Plus the dust off my dual drum sander, which I rarely use.
I use a dedicated vac for my miter saw and my hand sanders.
For general air cleaning I use a ceiling mounted Powermatic air filter

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
This is true and a concern, usual code is 10 feet from the exhaust of a flue port. Commercial standard is farther.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Even for a kitchen hood, I believe code says 450 CFM requires additional venting. Not hard to make a spring loaded damper so it only leaks when you need it. I tried to make my shop reasonably tight ( mini-split HVAC) and when I turn on my 10 inch exhaust fan ( quick purge of fumes) I can hear the difference in speed when I open the door.

If exhaust outside, then there is another basic design concept. Instead of a cyclone, just build a large baffle box outside.

I do wonder, vac or DC for miter saw. I was planning a big scoop ( 6 inch duct) behind the miter with the hose dangling in the duct but wonder if a vac on the hose would be better. Looking at a lower plenum to vac below the deck better.

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
Scott, I use the DC for the miter saw. But, being a graduate of the jury rigged school, I use large cardboard box as my enclosure. it has a 4" vent/flex transition to main 6" system. It removes most all chips & dust. I found that setup in an old Fine Working book.
I know; no photo, didn't happen.

wolfsburged

New User
Bill
I tried this over the weekend as a test. Man was it loud outside. Even louder than it seemed inside with the filter installed. Too close to my neighbors to probably do it.

Fred J

Fred
User
I finally finished my DC system and ran it for my wife to show her what I’d been working on. I don’t vent outside but she was worried the noise would bother the neighbors. The new system is way quieter than the shop vac and pancake compressor. Most of the noise seems to come from the filter area. I’m fine with the noise, so the neighbors will just have to deal with it.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I tried this over the weekend as a test. Man was it loud outside. Even louder than it seemed inside with the filter installed. Too close to my neighbors to probably do it.
My nearest neighbor is about 900 feet away, and the next ones are about 1/4 mile. Hopefully the cows next door won't mind. They could be within about 40-50 feet at times.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS