Digital calipers that are not crap?

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
TVR, I gave the best answer on the thread and you've ignored me completely :D

So, did you order that Igaging caliper yet?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The semi-exposed precision rack and pinion of a dial caliper is susceptible to woodshop sawdust. Most of the time its not a problem, but there are occasions when things jam up. I didn't read that in a book either.

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I have 3 of the Wixey WR100 located around the shop and just ordered another one ($39.99). Been using them for years. Also have 2 of the Wixey angle gauges. None of mine eat up batteries. I may have to change a battery every year or so. I buy Maxell 2032 on Amazon for $4.77 / 10, free shipping. They last as long as $2.50/3.00 batteries.
I have had the Wixey WR 550 readout on my planer for over 10 years. It uses 2 AAA batteries. It goes years before needing battery replacement. I just ordered another WR 550 ($89.99) because the present one is getting difficult to turn off at times. I have used it so much I think the switch is getting worn out.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
TVR, I gave the best answer on the thread and you've ignored me completely :D

So, did you order that Igaging caliper yet?

No, I ordered a Shars DIGITAL, as I was looking for a DIGITAL, not a DIAL. It is more for machine setups and my metal work where I need the precision of .001, not .01. I also work in all three number systems. It would seem to have fewer of the standard issues reported.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Shars came today, with their HUGE catalog. One obvious difference is the digital head is much larger than the cheap ones, I suspect that is the same as the Starrett where some complained it's a little clumsy to to the size. $32 plus shipping so about $50 to the door.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors