Digital angle gage

Warren

Warren
Corporate Member
My Wixi gage died and looking to replace it. All the amazon ratings are about the same, between 58-79% 5 stars. The Wixi was to difficult to consistently zero and sometimes repeat angle readings would vary ~ -0.1 to 0.2 degrees. This was a common complaint with a lot of the gages reviewed.
What ones have been most reliable on this forum? Any suggestions or do I live with this accuracy?

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
My WIXI loves batteries. I have to take it out every time I use it or it is dead the next time. This makes it so much hassle, I rarely use it and go back to a square

I have their digital height gauge and the LCD died after a few months.

it appears they have some quality issues, especially based on the pricing model.

I am interested in reviews of others digital products as well

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The Wixi height gauge never worked right on my DW735. It might work for a board or two then it would keep loosing zero. Tried everything. I even contacted Wixi and did all the steps they told me to do. It is still attached but I gave up on it working.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
my wixi also had issues. bought this 29 bucks so if it dies can buy nudder one and still have change :}:}:}

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, I am the outsider I guess as I have had very good luck with my Wixy. Battery lasts a couple of years. I still adjust, test cut and measure the actual wood to believe.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I can't remember the brand but there's one now that has a rechargeable battery. I'd look for that one if you're going to replace it.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
My Wixi gage died and looking to replace it. All the amazon ratings are about the same, between 58-79% 5 stars. The Wixi was to difficult to consistently zero and sometimes repeat angle readings would vary ~ -0.1 to 0.2 degrees. This was a common complaint with a lot of the gages reviewed.
What ones have been most reliable on this forum? Any suggestions or do I live with this accuracy?

I have a Wixi angle gage that I have used of a number of years. I often use it to square the blade of my table saw and frequently notice that as I tighten the blade in place it may drift off 90 degrees (say 89.9)...I am not sure that 0.1 to 0.2 degrees makes a whole lot difference. Obviously, like everyone else I strive for square but I am not convinced that very small deviations are that problematic for most woodworkers.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
The old Wixey gauges used button batteries which had a limited life. As the battery neared the end, the readout would start varying -0.1 to 0.2 degrees. The newer models use AAA batteries which have a much longer life.

It is important to understand, even though the display may be off (manually or automatic) the circuitry is still operating to maintain calibration and still drawing on the battery. With a good set of batteries you can expect most newer models to run much longer- angle cube WR300 and WR300BT(w/Bluetooth), tilt and level gauge WR365, planer thickness gauge WR510, remote planer thickness gauge WR550, etc. Battery life for the Bluetooth and back-lit models may be less.

The operation of any of the planer or router table gauges depends on the installation- install it wrong and it won't work correctly. Everything must slide smoothly and freely. It it doesn't you will get bad readings. I have Wixeys on my RC51 20" planer (and on a DC380 15" planer before that), table saw fence and tilt readout- I added an arm with small bracket to the height wheel and am able read blade tilt continuously without moving the tilt gauge to the blade. I have been using them for years. I have another unit, but never got around to installing it on my router table because the height of the bit can change, depending on how it is mounted in the collet. I find it easier to use a height gauge on the bit itself. I never got one for my dual drum sander but I could use it on my current projects.

Bottom line, the current set of Wixey gauges are reliable and have longer battery life.

Original, vertical display, Wixey thickness gauge on my 15" planer:

index.php

I put a newer angled display (easier to read) unit on my 20" planer before switching that one to a remote readout Wixey unit. (No pic but the remote readout is mounted to the infeed side and the measuring unit and mechanism is mounted at the outfeed side)

index.php

With my mitersaw installation I can't see the tilt scale which is at the back of the saw so, using an existing cable clamp screw at the top of the saw, I added a small steel bracket where I can set the Wixey. Setting the tilt must be done when the saw head is fully down as shown in the pics. (I did this after forgetting to take the Wixey off the blade before turning on the saw- flying Wixey!

index.php

index.php

I added an arm and small steel bracket to the elevation wheel on my table saw. At the start of a shop session, I use the Wixey to set the blade to 90° to the table (vertical). Then I relocate the Wixey to the bracket and calibrate it to 0°. After that it tracks and precisely displays table tilt (saw does not need to be level. If you look at the display, you'll see the absolute level is 15.4° which is the tilt of the mounting bracket.

index.php

I don't use the Wixey on my tablesaw often, but it is great for indexing in the "incremental" mode.

PB270063.JPG

Last edited:

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I bought one called a tilt box by Beall Tool Co. I made sure my table was set to 90 and my blade was square. Tried to use it to set my bevel angles and I never got the same reading twice. I went back to my block of wood and plastic protractor.

Brian Patterson

New User
Bstrom
I have a Wixey that looks different than Alan’s = just a magnetic base with a yellow display overlay. Works great - no battery issues. Use it true up the TS and RAS Blades whenever they get adjusted, etc. Invaluable tool...

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a Wixey angle gauge that I've had for 5+ years that I use all the time . It has the button (2032) battery. I have to replace the battery probably once or twice a year but have no complaints with it. It moves from my table saw to band saw to drill press to miter saw as needed.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
My Wixey that eats batteries is the old style with the large flat batteries
The height gauge is a standalone with a magnetic base that straddles the table saw or router table. This is the one that the LCD died. Same vintage with flat battery

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS