Differences in personality

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
We are all different, some more different than others. I know people get upset with me when I can't give them blueprints of things I make, the reason is I don't use blueprints/plans/drawings/ what ever you want to call it. I see the thing in my mind and I make it, many times I don't use any measurements, maybe a divider or a set block. Sometimes I measure with micrometers, it all depends on the work and the need for precision. I can't tell you how long something took me to make or how long it may take next time. Not that I don't want to, but I have no idea. No concept of time.

Likewise I am not very good with planning, I usually "wing it" and things get left out, people get left out, time slips away, people get mad at me. I can't help it. My wife has an extraordinary internal clock, she just knows when things need to happen, how long things take, when something happened- even decades ago - to the minute. I can't time an egg without setting an alarm. If I walk away from the stove it could be three minutes or three hours before I come back. I know this about myself and I try to compensate but I usually fail.

So, While i may have great ideas, I am not very good at follow through, not good at leading others who look for planning, direction, timing, spreadsheets of directions, lists of tasks and assignments. That is why I believe someone else would be much better at leading this group. Someone who is an organizer, a leader, someone who plans and carries out schedules.

When we call for elections I hope that person or several persons will step up and run for Board of Directors. It's not a difficult or time consuming task, not full time by any means. There are times that get busy and I'm sure Ron would say times that get extreme. But that is not the norm.

Even with my shortfalls and failures this has been extremely rewarding personally. Friendships have grown closer. I have grown in ways I never expected. We have grown as a group. I will continue to be involved, I will keep making things, making jokes, taking time to teach, and to learn. And I thank all of you for putting up with me.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks for leading Mike. It takes all kinds of people to be an effective group.
While I do get frustrated with others when they don't see things my way - I also realize just how boring life would be if everyone was like me!

Last edited:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Mike, it does not bother me if you cannot give a detailed explanation of a process or project. What I appreciate is your encouragement of NCWW'ers who have a desire to learn.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The best coaches, leaders and managers are not the ones that do everything or know everything. Far from it. They are the ones that encourage others to do their best. Mike you lead us by your passion. To me that is one of the most important qualities of a leader.

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
My personal opinion is that you've done a splendid job Mike! You have come up with some truly great and unique ideas, and I think you've been clear enough about those things. You have brought a different slant to the organization, yours. Each leader's personality is different, and woodworking and social goals are different, and you are no exception. However the next election comes out, a very big thank you for all you've done, and I hope you will remain on the BOD for another term.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, I told you I have no sense of timing. I really thought my term was up this year. Looks like you have one more year to put up with me on the Board.

Hopefully, someone will takeover as president though. I feel like I have done it long enough, maybe too long.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mike, it has been my experience that few people know themselves as well as you seem to know yourself. As a result, you have learned to work to your strengths and to not become overly frustrated with your lesser strengths. Leaders come in all different shapes and sizes and with various different leadership characteristics. One of the most indispensable characteristics, in my opinion, is "caring" and that trait you possess in abundance. Thank you for all that you have done for the organization.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since my term is up this year, if I'm reelected I certainly hope that you'll still be around to provide guidance and more importantly inspiration for me to continue to serve NCWW. I've really been impressed with your leadership and guidance over the past years and hope you continue even after your tenure is up. Frankly, you are one of my Mentors. I've learned more from you than anyone that I can think of.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Thank you for your leadership, Mike, I'm glad to hear we'll have you in that role a little longer.

Last edited:

gesiak

John
Corporate Member
Mike leadership is not just about detailed planning. Its about having vision and setting the right group of people in the right direction to achieve that vision. I believe you are such a leader. Being able to identify the correct people and providing the encouragement to accomplish the goal is a rare gift. Echoing KenofCary, "One of the most indispensable characteristics, in my opinion, is "caring" and that trait you possess in abundance".

You sir, have those leadership skills. Thanks for you leadership and hope you will continue to serve on the Board after your current term.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, you are one of handful of people that drew me into NCWW and I am glad for your input and help!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Mike you are a tremendous asset to this club. Thankyou for all you do

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Actually, I want to applaud all the BOD, all y'all just ROCK! Thank you to every one of you for your hard and diligent work to make NCWW the greatest group of woodworkers on the planet!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors