Difference in DNA and Rubbing Alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbeach

New User
Mike
What is the difference?

I dont have any DNA right now, havent gone to get any, but I do have rubbing alcohol.

I am needing it to use between sanding and CA glue for pens.

Just curious if I could use rubbing alcohol or not.

Thanks

Mike

DaveO

New User
DaveO
DNA is ethanol that has chemicals added to it to make it unfit to drink, thus avoiding liquor taxes.
Rubbing alcohol is 70% isopropyl alcohol with 30% water added to it.

I would be concerned about introducing the water element. But given extra time to dry off it would probably work.

Dave:)

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Isopropyl and Eythl are like Apples and Pineapples. Two different things. Rubbing Alcohol can also have Lanolin in it. Check the label.

jhreed

New User
james
Rubbing alcohol, USP / B.P. is a liquid prepared and used primarily for topical application. It is prepared from a special denatured alcohol solution and contains 97.5-100% by volume of pure, concentrated ethanol (ethyl alcohol)[1]. Individual manufacturers can use their own "formulation standards" in which the ethanol content usually ranges from 70-99% v/v.[2] In the UK the equivalent skin preparation is surgical spirit which is always based on an ethyl alcohol-methyl alcohol mixture.
The term "rubbing alcohol" has become a general non-specific term for either isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol) or ethyl alcohol (ethanol) rubbing-alcohol products. The confusion comes from the greater popularity of isopropyl rubbing alcohol, and as a result, individuals requesting "rubbing alcohol" generally expect and get an isopropyl alcohol product.

They are one and the same.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
What is the difference?

I dont have any DNA right now, havent gone to get any, but I do have rubbing alcohol.

I am needing it to use between sanding and CA glue for pens.

Just curious if I could use rubbing alcohol or not.

Thanks

Mike

I use rubbing alcohol all the time between sanding grits for pens.

I had the water content concern too, so I just speed up the lathe and let it spin dry for about a minute.:widea:

Not had a problem yet!:icon_thum

Wayne

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
The differences are vast. How they are made, from what, etc. Isopropyl is usually made with water and propene. DNA is usually ethynol that is made toxic to satisfy tax requirements.
In wood working the difference depends on your intended use.

You can get isopropyl alcohol at 90+% at most drugstores ( at least around here. I have one 91% and one 93% container.). It is in a container almost identical to the 70%. It is a little more expensive. I don't use either for wood working, although in a pinch I'd use the 90% Isopropyl for cleaning wood.
Denatured alcohol is available in larger quantities - the big box stores usually carry it in pints up to gallon containers. Chemical supply places carry it in 5 gallon containers. It is notably cheaper in quantity.

I know turners that soak green turnings in DNA for 24-48 hours and then let them air dry. The DNA displaces water { OVER SIMPLIFICATION INTENDED- wanna discuss chemistry we can, but I'd rather not :) } and the alcohol evaporates much quicker than water would. The turning may still warp or crack. I've not had the success I've heard others claim with this, but you can dry a piece and take your chances.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Also, Ethyl Alcohol in 91% form can be found a CVS and sometimes Walgreen's.
It's all I buy, since it's not much more than the 70% Iso and works MUCH better.
Cheers!

timf67

New User
Tim
While DNA and IPA (rubbing alc.) are different animals, for your application it shouldn't matter too much. You are using it to remove any residue between coats and you want something that will evaporate quickly. Technically the DNA will evaporate quicker, but if your lathe is running the IPA (rubbing alc.) will dry pretty darn quick as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS