Died and gone to heaven w/all my fingers

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I don't know how I ever got along without a jointer! Oh my gosh, it's beyond wonderful and even though my Dad and the salesman warned of serious injury, I love this new baby. I want to thank you all again for the guidance and especially those who talked me into a floor model. I knew after the first pass I made it was exactly right.
Life is too good!
Barbara

Monty

New User
Monty
Cool!!! Although I've got to admit the title had me a little worried! Use your push blocks, even when you don't think it's necessary!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Goodness Barbara... Don't do that to me again. I had a sinking feeling when I read the title. Congragulations on your purchase. What did you end up getting?

b4man

New User
Barbara
Who said there was too much testosterone in this group? I think you men are a bunch of marshmallows. I'm sorry for the title and I won't do that again. I bought the Rigid 6 1/2 jointer/planer. It was 349.00 at HD. The price was fair as far as my shopping took me. I do have to say, that assembly was a bear and it took my Dad and me to lift and set up. But boy does it hum.

I am so hooked on this group!
Barbara

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am glad that you like your new jointer, how does it run on 240? I think that the jointer is one of the more safe machines in the shop, not as safe as a scrollsaw, but definately safer than the table saw. But using push blocks and common sense is always the best practice. If it doesn't feel safe, it probably isn't. How's that orange look in the shop, it kinda brightens up my mainly green shop. Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Jointer safety.... Do not joint narrow end grain pieces... do not ask how I know that...

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
clowman said:
Jointer safety.... Do not joint narrow end grain pieces... do not ask how I know that...
I had a co-worker that lost parts of two fingers to that mistake.

Be safe,
-Mark

sapwood

New User
Roger
Yes, please don't scare us anymore, though I'm glad you're finding joy in a jointer :roll:

But beware 8-O

Your initial euphoria could be symptomatic of the first reported case of "Wood Lady Disease" :eusa_sile

Innocuously,
Sapwood

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Barbara, congrats on your latest purchase. I am sure this will serve as a temporary vaccination against the dreaded Woodguy disease. But do beware, the effects of these vaccinations are very short lived and you will soon once again feel the onset of those cravings that we all tend to suffer from.

Be safe and enjoy that new jointer.

D L

b4man

New User
Barbara
The orange gives my shop a splash of color! Sure beats red! JUST KIDDING! I promise that after I clean up the boxes and put everything in a new place that I had to move to make room for my new baby, I'll send a pic.

I love the 240v option. There is absolutely no drag when she starts and hums from on to off. I must say that this piece of equipment is as rigid as it's name. Solid, heavy and appears to be precise. Once I really learn to use it my opinion may change but I hope not. The one criticism I do have is that the toggle on the switch is very cheap plastic and the key doesn't feel like it will stay put. I know it's all about safety and I'll probably replace it with another heavy duty switch.

As for the most dangerous tool in my shop....I have to admit that the table saw scares me everytime I turn it on but nothing can compare to the plain old circular saw for danger in my book.
I will be careful! Barbara

woodguy1975

New User
John
Congrats Barbara. I'm glad to see you got the floor model. You would have quickly gotten annoyed with a bench top. Jointers are crutial to doing good work in my humble opinion. The bigger the better. :) (Subtile transmittance of the Woodguy Disease. Hehehehehe).

Congrats.

John

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Congrats on the new purchase and I agree it is an essential tool. As far as safety goes jointers are dangerous both on and off, not that I've ever walked into the corner of the bed on mine or anything :lol:

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
Good luck with your new mean orange machine! If the little yellow safety insert on the switch bothers you, a tube of superglue will have your problem fixed in about three rotations of a jointer's cutterhead:lol:! Mine has never fallen out, but if it did I would glue it in, I unplug the machine if I don't want it turned on!

Ryan

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thanks Ryan, I'll remember that. For now I put a small strip of duct tape across it. I only have one 240 outlet to use between a TS, BS and now the Jointer. I have to unplug and plug in every one I use as needed so there's no problem keeping the key in permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors