Did you know we have a YouTube channel?

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Several of these videos came from our speaker series a few years ago, including:

Dr. Sara Robinson, aka Dr Spalting (world's foremost expert on spalting)
Jonathon Brower furniture maker and designer
NCWW Sketchup Workshop with Dave Richards
Chat with Paul Anthony, Tim Snyder, and Joe Hurst with Woodcraft Magazine
Chat with Wood Turner Ron Brown

These videos came at the end of the series of speakers and this represents a fraction of the well-known speakers that we have hosted.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Steve, any plan to revive those monthly chat / video sessions? I know it was a lot of work getting the famous participants and getting the logistics worked out, but it was greatly appreciated.

We'd love to see this happen again in some form.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
I don’t have the time, but I would be happy to share the lessons that I have learned from doing this over several years.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I think it is hard coming up with new names (is that true Steve?)
I was kind of bummed with the participation level in a lot of the chats...

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
How about we solicit a list of names. HAve the cOmmunity vote on who thet want as their top 3 or 4 and then see if we can get those. Have some marketing done onsite as a reminder. A static post in the forums and add to the calendar. Also what about an email reminder to those interested?

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Didn't know about this nor the Facebook page. Thank you for the links and the heads-up.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I think it is hard coming up with new names (is that true Steve?)
I was kind of bummed with the participation level in a lot of the chats...

That says something about the level of interest in these chats several years ago. I've tried a couple of them recently and wasn't very excited about them. Sure they're UTube videos but mostly inanimate audio. Compare that with the video of Charlie's segmented turnings which is more informative and interesting to watch.

Dr. Spalting has a separate video which is a lot more interesting to watch than listening to the chat session. The da Vinci lecture.

Last edited:

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Hank,

The names were easy and the woodworkers were very gracious. I had very few people who refused. There were many benefits that were unanticipated, such as Woodworking in America coming to Winston Salem at least partly because we had both Chris Schwarz and Meghan Fitzpatrick on the guest chat series, participation of both Mary May and Garrett Hack in the chest of drawers project, Roy Underhill participating in one of the Wounded Warrior outreach events, several donations to the raffle from Glenn Huey, Doug Stowe, and probably others. The series ran from July 2012 to April 2016 and we had close to 50 guests from many different aspects of woodworking. Some of the text chats can be found by search for the word “interview”. There are several lists of speakers that can be found by looking up “guest chat”.

With the low member turnout, I eventually lost interest in continuing. I had a few guests to admit that they were surprised by the low numbers.

Steve

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS