DeWalt Scroll Saw Question

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
A little help from my scroller friends...
Is a type1 DeWalt scroll saw worth $250?
I have not seen it, I have NO idea of the condition, but that seems cheaper than I have seen recently...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
While a Type 1 is 20 plus years old it was made in North America. Type 2's are made in the far East. The type 1's were much better machines with better components. For $250 do you get the light and stand? If so that is a fair price. $200 would be better. :)

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I have a Type-1 and it's a very good tool. I have the arm lift attachment & a dead-man foot switch. The only gripe I have is the hold-down foot is worthless. This is really true when working on small stuff. My cure was to modify it. I found that the existing foot is only force fitted into it's mating part. I pulled it out and replaced it with a Lexan & foot from another style of machine.

Pop

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I removed the top hold down and the bottom "blade guard" within 15 minutes of scrolling on my DeWalt. Sure you can cut your finger off with a scroll saw but it would require #7 skip tooth blade and two blade changes.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
If clean, has a stand, and is in good working condition I would jump on it. Make some test cuts using a few of your own blades and pieces of scrap wood. See how well it cuts and if it has any unusual noises. If perfect like new, I would pay $300. Anything not perfect would reduce the price from there. If the motor has problems it will cost the asking price to replace it. Noisy bearings could run $60 and a lot of work if you do it yourself, or the asking price of the saw if you hire DeWalt to do it.

Charley

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Type one is made in Canada Not sure if that makes it better or not .... In general the Dewalt's are good saw just over priced IMHO

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
$200 is fair. The light is part of the machine. It SHOULD be there.

A hold down foot is a worthless thing. They only get in the way.They are only there to protect the manufacturer. I don’t even know where mine is.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
First thing I did on my Dewalt was to remove that hold down foot; it is a nuisance at best. I sold my DW788, complete with stand, light, and EZ Lift to hold the arm up between cuts, for $350 last year. It was a Type 1. There was just something about the Type 1 saws that made them a joy to use, but not so much the Type 2. Owned both and the Type 1 was by far the best machine. I switched to RBI Hawk scroll saws; I've been quite happy with the Hawk saws, but they do command a bunch more green stuff.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
They are good saws. I bought one several years ago think I paid $200.

I strongly advise you don't just turn it on, but do a test cut. Mine sounded ok, but the first time I used it there was lots of noise which turned out to be a missing screw. But I'm sure the bearings need replacing.

Still works good tho.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS