Dewalt Router Disassembly

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Any idea how to remove this locking ring? There are two holes 180 degrees apart (pencil pointing at one) and the center is threaded.

Any idea what the tool is called to remove this? Or where to find it?

Attachments

• 3FEAA8F4-550B-4A29-8E35-C0AED3944CE6.jpeg
    3FEAA8F4-550B-4A29-8E35-C0AED3944CE6.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 246

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
You'll need a pin type spanner wrench. It looks like a heavy compass with two pins perpendicular to the arms. Not your Lowe's or HD item. Specialty too likely found on Amazon or Ebay. I have one for cylinder heads on small hydraulic cylinders but I'm afraid it's too large for those pin holes. In a pinch, make one with a piece of hardwood and 2 nails..........

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
You'll need a pin type spanner wrench. It looks like a heavy compass with two pins perpendicular to the arms. Not your Lowe's or HD item. Specialty too likely found on Amazon or Ebay. I have one for cylinder heads on small hydraulic cylinders but I'm afraid it's too large for those pin holes. In a pinch, make one with a piece of hardwood and 2 nails..........
I think Dennis is right. I have seen what is referred to as a clutch pin wrench like this one....
Spanner Wrench Clutch Wrench Adjustable Wrench Holder Hub Flywheel Sprocket Spanner Wrench Set Fan Clutch Removal Tool Tools Scooter Motorcycle Accessories - - Amazon.com

Dewalt supply a similar pin wrench with their angle grinders to loosen and tighten the outer flange nuts for the abrasive disks. (Not sure if the pin spacing would be the same between their grinders and routers, though.)

Wayne

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Thank you both!

I actually tried the wood and two 8d nails earlier—I bent both nails.

I’ll have to look into the amazon wrench to see if the pins will work.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Wayne's post reminded me that I also have a spanner for my angle grinder that has an adjustable side to it. If you could find one of those I'd say you're in business. Also, look carefully and see that that isn't a left hand thread.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Clamp the router, and then light taps with a punch and hammer will normally get these things going if yourevnot too particular about marring the holes. Otherwise, use a hole saw to make a hole in the board for the protruding part to fit through, then put your 8d nails in the board so they just barely protrude and won't bend. Cut the points off the nails after they're driven.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Clamp the router, and then light taps with a punch and hammer will normally get these things going if yourevnot too particular about marring the holes. Otherwise, use a hole saw to make a hole in the board for the protruding part to fit through, then put your 8d nails in the board so they just barely protrude and won't bend. Cut the points off the nails after they're driven.
Try using the butt end of appropriate diameter drill bits as the pins.

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Thanks again all!

I ended up making the nails shorter like Richard mentioned and it worked!

Crude wrench and broken piece attached.

Attachments

• 343D46FA-06F7-477E-AF0C-3A5FA521851D.jpeg
    343D46FA-06F7-477E-AF0C-3A5FA521851D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 202
  • AD2FFE96-01F7-45A5-AA8F-5C4D6FDD2358.jpeg
    AD2FFE96-01F7-45A5-AA8F-5C4D6FDD2358.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 199

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
It’s back together after two tries!

The brass piece (Dewalt calls “insert”) that locks the elevation shaft fooled me. It fell out during disassembly and I couldn’t figure out where it went until the lower and upper housing were put back together. Thankfully the rest of the router was still in pieces!

Attachments

• 7419B0E6-D9B2-4477-B5A3-D20BB160B515.jpeg
    7419B0E6-D9B2-4477-B5A3-D20BB160B515.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 161

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Good news Zack!

is that a DW621? What was the reason for the tesrdown? (I have the same router and never have had any issues with it.)

Wayne

zdorsch

Zach
Corporate Member
Yes, it’s a 621. The lower assembly was somehow broken prior to my ownership.

Good news Zack!

is that a DW621? What was the reason for the tesrdown? (I have the same router and never have had any issues with it.)

Wayne

Attachments

• 7778CCE9-33D9-413B-92A1-41CCFFABD463.jpeg
    7778CCE9-33D9-413B-92A1-41CCFFABD463.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS