Dewalt 788 rebuild

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hi - My 788 is shaking and banging a bit. I'd like to get it refurbed with new bearings etc. but I don't have the time or the desire to do it myself. I know there are a lot of How-To Vids on YouTube but I really don't want to mess with it. Do any of you know of someone who could do the rebuild?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The easy button is to buy a Pegas. The only way I know how to get one rebuilt is to find a Dewalt Service Center.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Hi - My 788 is shaking and banging a bit. I'd like to get it refurbed with new bearings etc. but I don't have the time or the desire to do it myself. I know there are a lot of How-To Vids on YouTube but I really don't want to mess with it. Do any of you know of someone who could do the rebuild?
FWIW Here are the instructions with parts and tool list.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Often with machines of that quality level and stress level, the bearings go bad then wallow out the housings or erode the shaft. Replacing the bearings are easy enough, but that may not solve the banging and vibration that comes from loose fitting and/or worn parts.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Thanks for all the replies. The saw is pretty old (probably 20 years or so) and I don't do much scrolling anymore so I think I'll just live with it for the few things that I still do. The vibes aren't too bad if I run it slow.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Hey, if you have the urge to fiddle with it, check out the video series done by a guy named Bob Brokaw over on Gwinnett Woodworkers, the same one referenced in Hmerckle's post. I saw the video a few years ago and managed to get hold of him through their Facebook page.

It is THE best reference you'll ever see on replacing the bearings on a 788.

Mine was knocking like heck and it turned out to be a screw in the upper head, not a bearing.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I saw this issue on YouTube with a fix that doesn’t involve the bearings. It was a nut that loosened up. He shows how he fixed it.
Dewalt 788 knocking noise fix. RJB WoodTurner. YouTube. Takes a couple minutes to watch it. See what you think. It might fix it.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I saw this issue on YouTube with a fix that doesn’t involve the bearings. It was a nut that loosened up. He shows how he fixed it.
Dewalt 788 knocking noise fix. RJB WoodTurner. YouTube. Takes a couple minutes to watch it. See what you think. It might fix it.
That looks like it would be doable. Thanks I'll give that a try.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS