Dewalt 735 problem

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
Without any known incident, my 735 planer will only go down to about 2 inches of the deck. It will rack all the way to the top but going down it stops at the same height every time. There is no visible damage to either of the 4 threaded posts. The chain that turns the sprockets on the posts is intact and works fine above the level of the stop. Any ideas? Repair sites? Thanks.

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
There are two guide shields in the bed area that are supposed to fit into the body of the planer that adjusts, you may have one that is misaligned for some reason and stopping downward travel. Mine did that one time.

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
There are two guide shields in the bed area that are supposed to fit into the body of the planer that adjusts, you may have one that is misaligned for some reason and stopping downward travel. Mine did that one time.
Thanks Phillip, I will take a look.

DLC

New User
Daniel
If it's like my planer, it might have a depth stop to allow you to make repeatable thicknesses, and that could be what's causing this.

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
If it's like my planer, it might have a depth stop to allow you to make repeatable thicknesses, and that could be what's causing this.
DLC, At first I thought that was the problem but the carriage stops before it reaches the depth stop (rod).

llucas

luke
Senior User
not likely from your description but maybe sawdust/chips in the channels that holds the posts. I had a cracked/broken blade hood that allowed chips to not get expelled and they got wedged in there. Blowing them clean fixed that til I ordered a replacement part.

vinson

Doug
Corporate Member
Thanks to everyone for the input. Phillip had the winning answer! One of the shields has a bend (kink) in it and therefore will not seat properly. Luckily an easy fix. Come to find out, my FIL ran a large (thick) piece that got cross wise and bent the shield. What a great resource this forum is!

Jeff

New User
Jeff
There are two guide shields in the bed area that are supposed to fit into the body of the planer that adjusts, you may have one that is misaligned for some reason and stopping downward travel.

Can you explain that a little better (pictures and what to look for)? I don't know if I have them on my DW734 planer bed.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS