DEWALT 611 mini router combo pack unboxing and first impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The unboxing went quick...just a few parts in a box:

DW611-unboxing.jpg

Contents include the router motor, fixed base, plunge base, wrench, instruction sheet and a Dewalt canvas bag, that seems overly roomy for the small tool.

The yellow button on the side of the motor housing is the spindle lock, which works pretty well - tightening and loosening the bits is easy. When removing bits, I've needed to knock the end of the bit against something to loosen it before I can pry it out. Not sure if this is normal for this router? Perhaps I need to check the inside of the collet for anything that might be making it stick.

This version (as opposed to the Porter Cable version) has LED lights and variable speed. The lights work very well - making it much easier to see the work. I wish my big hand-held router had them. In my first usage, I left the speed at the max for the small bits I was using. Turning on this router feels like it has soft-start electronics, but I wasn't sure if this was just because it is so much smaller than my other hand-held router...checking Dewalts website confirms that it does have soft start.

Adjusting the depth with the fixed base is quick and easy: Unlock the black clamp on the fixed base, turn the ring and then lock the clamp. The ring is graduated to 1/64" for precise settings.

Visibility is not great when working - partially because it is simply a very small base. Since it is open on only one side, all the dust comes out the same side that you are working on...not ideal. There is no accommodation for a DC hookup.

So far, I've had a chance to use the fixed base with 1/8" roundover and 45deg bevel bits. The size works very well for the quick roundovers. I set the bevel bit to 1/4" depth and set to easing the edges of my new TS outfeed table - oak and laminate. The little 611 plowed through it with ease.

The motor generally needs to be removed from the base to change bits - there is no room through the little housing hole to turn a wrench very far. In addition, the spindle lock button may be inaccessible inside the base, depending on the depth setting. Fortunately, there are 2 black quick-release buttons on the router that let the motor slide quickly out of the base without affecting the depth setting. The motor slides right back in and snaps into place without needing to push the release buttons again.

I have not yet used the plunge base. I have played with it a little - the plunge release lever is in just the right place and only requires a light touch to allow the router to plunge. Releasing the lever locks the plunge effortlessly. I'm really looking forward to putting the plunger into action. It looks like a bushing guide mount is easy to add - one of the features I was looking for as I intend to use this for inlay work.

I wish I had more to report...I'm itching to use this more! The light weight really makes it a pleasure to use.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks for the detailed review, Chris.

I picked up this combo around Thanksgiving and have been enjoying it too.:icon_thum:icon_thum

(I did order the dust collection adapter for the plunge base around the first of December. I received a message (from ACME Tool) that the adapter was on back order from Dewalt and not ship until about mid January - 2011. Still waiting for it.)

When I received mine, I took a brass collet brush and cleaned the collet very well and not had any issues with sticking bits. Something you may want to try.

Wayne

Last edited:

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Thanks for the review Chris. :thumbs_up I've been thinking about picking up one of these but they seem to still be in limited stock everywhere, at least the combo pack. Mind sharing where you picked yours up from? I noticed a week or so ago that Lowes had the fixed base version only.

Brian.

DWSmith

New User
David
Don't tap the bit to loosen, keep turning the wrench. Most of the better routers have a feature on the collets to keep the bits from simply falling out as you loosen the nut. Once loose enough the bit will come out easily.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks for the review Chris. :thumbs_up I've been thinking about picking up one of these but they seem to still be in limited stock everywhere, at least the combo pack. Mind sharing where you picked yours up from? I noticed a week or so ago that Lowes had the fixed base version only.

Brian.

Brian,

The Raleigh Woodcraft store have the combo pacs. (I saw at least on kit left on the shelf last week when I was over there.)

Wayne

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Wayne, thanks for the update. I was in the Raleighwood store a few weeks back and they didn't have any yet and weren't sure when they would be getting any. It'll probably be a while before any online shops offer them for less than retail anyway.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors