Designing/Prototyping Farm House Clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I haven't spent hardly any time in the shop this summer and the cooler weather this week has made me really want to get out there so I went out and slapped this together in a couple of hours. I like where it is and the wife likes it now I just have to decide if I want to do anything else to it and decide if I want to build another one with tighter tolerances or just slap some paint on this one and call it done.
IMG_4274_1067x800.JPG

View image in gallery

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Kevin,

Looks good to me, though we are our own worst critics. If you feel it isn't quite up to snuff, then do what you have to do to make it worthy of your critique.

Mike

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
If you are aiming for the rustic/farm look in your clock, then I think the looser tolerances are more typical and authentic. The challenge with rustic is allowing yourself to get a little sloppy here or there, use simple butt joints, and the like.

Many woodworkers of yesteryear were woodworkers by necessity and not necessarily masters of their craft.

I think the clock looks wonderful as it is in all its simple glory. But it is YOUR clock, so feel free to give it whatever look suits you and yours.

JCraig

New User
Jerry
If you are aiming for the rustic/farm look in your clock, then I think the looser tolerances are more typical and authentic. The challenge with rustic is allowing yourself to get a little sloppy here or there, use simple butt joints, and the like.

Many woodworkers of yesteryear were woodworkers by necessity and not necessarily masters of their craft.

I think the clock looks wonderful as it is in all its simple glory. But it is YOUR clock, so feel free to give it whatever look suits you and yours.

+1. I like it.:icon_thum

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks.... Michael that's my problem I am my own worst critic and a perfectionist at that. Ethan yep, I going for the Rustic/Farm look, that is the style of most of the furniture/things I build. I think the loose tolerances give it character but referencing the perfectionist it me it's very hard for me to let it go and have it look the way it should. I guess I need to just accept it and let my inner farmer free.. :)

Thanks Trent and Reggie.

I'll probably throw a coat of paint on it to see how that makes me feel about it if I need to I can always build another one. That would just be a shame. :)

Russ Denz

New User
Russ
Nice work, Kevin,
Perfection, like most things, is a matter of perspective. One perspective is that of the old craftsman/farmer you are trying to emulate; from his perspective your clock is absolute perfection just as it is!! Using modern joinery and close tolerances to build a period piece would be about the same as wearing designer jeans to a Civil War reenactment - stylish, but definitely not Civil War era.

So...congratulations on a perfect turn of the century (or whatever) farm clock!!:icon_thum

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors