Design input/critique...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
In anticipation for the next step in my hall bench build, I made a full scale sketch of the leg layout. It's a little different than my rough sketch made the other night. I incorporated the "knees" suggested by Charles (cpw). I like the flow, and that there is a little more wood to add strength. I would appreciate y'alls opinion of the design. It's a lot easier to change on paper than in wood.

Hall_bench_WIP_003.jpg

Dave:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I like it!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap For a second I thought I might change one thing on the inside of the bottom part of the leg, but then seeing how it flows right into the bottom of the bench, it totally works. Looks great! :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Looks like you're goin from Ashy to Classy. :cool: :gar-La;

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like it Dave. What you could do is add a volute at top and a bead down the sides.

Ed, I don't have any idea what a "volute" is, but if it's anything like what the cats bring in from the yard, my wife wouldn't like it :wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dave, I really like the flow. If you are using highly figured wood it will work just fine. If it is not highly figured, I do agree with Ed that it will call for some carving work.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I don't think you would consider this Ash to be highly figured, but it does have some nice grain patterns to it. I briefly thought about applying a rosette in the circular area, but then thought that would look cheap, and it would be difficult to find one in Ash. I like the volute, but my carving skills and tooling leave a lot to be desired. I would hate to put a lot of work into this bench and screw it up with a amateurish carving.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
In anticipation for the next step in my hall bench build, I made a full scale sketch of the leg layout. It's a little different than my rough sketch made the other night. I incorporated the "knees" suggested by Charles (cpw). I like the flow, and that there is a little more wood to add strength. I would appreciate y'alls opinion of the design. It's a lot easier to change on paper than in wood.

Hall_bench_WIP_003.jpg

I will have to say I know it is above what I can do in woodworking at this point in my life, it looks like it is gonna rock~!

Now since it is still on paper, I think it will flow a little better if the curves matched better, but after trying to change it in paint the way I thought would look good, well either I highly lack in the paint skills or my idea stinks.

So therefore I take back what I said, And I :notworthy: Your design, It Rocks~!

And if you have it done before the end of the year, I will be very amazed~! I would love to learn how you can make things so quickly and have them look soooo Good~!

Sully

New User
jay
A different way to give it some umpf would be to do some inlays in a contrasting wood, like maybe walnut. It would be easier than carving and would set it off. It is a nice looking leg profile.

$0.02
J

RandyJ

New User
Randy
I like it Dave:icon_thum. The proportions seem right. What is the length of the bench?
Looking forward to seeing this project progress...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like it Dave:icon_thum. The proportions seem right. What is the length of the bench?
Looking forward to seeing this project progress...

36" overall, so the seat will be around 28-30" wide/long.
I look forward to the progress too, this is getting more complicated than I originally planned for a weekend project :eusa_doh:

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
I'll be the contrarian here: I liked DaveO's original sketch better.

I think DaveO will be forced to add ornamentation because the design of the leg (per picture in this thread) has so much unbroken surface area.

I have exactly this same problem on my never-ending sleigh-bed crib project: the legs are big and heavy and need something (or a lot of somethings) to break up that big flat expanse of wood.

Conversely, the original sketch showed a leg that was fairly sparse..the rolled arm could be blended seamlessly into the upright of the leg. Creates a nice arching form that's pleasing to the eye.

-Mark

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Dave,
Is your sketch of the back post? Will the seat lift up for storage? If it is the back post, I don't think you need that much curve at the bottom. I think you mentioned using it in the hall? You might want to keep the foot print as narrow as possible and keep it a little simpler at the bottom. The sketch looks like the end view of a sleigh bed. I second the suggestion to add a rossett at the top.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
If you want to avoid carving and turning (2 of my favorites, but not everybody's) there is aways this alternative:

http://www.woodzone.com/Merchant2/m...8209&Category_Code=DBA&Store_Code=Woodworking

Disclaimer - I have no experience with that specific item and I don't know why it is about half the cost of just about all the other ones that turn up in a quick search, but it is low enough to consider even if it is just for a project or two.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
If you want to avoid carving and turning (2 of my favorites, but not everybody's) there is aways this alternative:

http://www.woodzone.com/Merchant2/m...8209&Category_Code=DBA&Store_Code=Woodworking

Disclaimer - I have no experience with that specific item and I don't know why it is about half the cost of just about all the other ones that turn up in a quick search, but it is low enough to consider even if it is just for a project or two.
Another alternative is simply to buy a commercially made rosette and drill the requisite hole with a forstner bit.

-Mark

SubGuy

Administrator
Zach
36" overall, so the seat will be around 28-30" wide/long.
I look forward to the progress too, this is getting more complicated than I originally planned for a weekend project :eusa_doh:

Doesn't ever project ALWAYS turn out much more complicated than we ever think.:gar-La; Oh yeah, Grizzly has some cheap rosette cutterheads. I want some for myself:jealous:

Dean Maiorano

New User
Dino
Hmmm...I like Carved Tones' suggestion for a drill press rosette cutter. Nice price too.

I think one reason for the difference in price within the selection of available cutter heads is HSS vs. Carbide. I also looked on the internet and found some additional options you might find interesting.

> Here are MLCS options - both HSS with interchangeable blades or carbide tipped steel body:
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/rosette.htm

> Ebay versions of the MLCS versions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Rosette-Cut...uters_Bits?hash=item5ad5f3f6bc#ht_2727wt_1165
-AND-
http://cgi.ebay.com/1-pc-1-2-SH-2-C...outers_Bits?hash=item1e59d27672#ht_1248wt_939

> Grizzly, Woodstock, Rockler, et al. sell similar (albiet more expensive) versions to the MLCS versions

> this version looks to be for the truly dedicated (I think it is from Amana), it has shaper head to mill molding in matching profile:
http://www.toolstoday.com/p-5408-ro...-box.aspx?variantids=7010,0&affiliateid=10054

> the same (or similar) to the previous without the shaper head (here definitely identified as Amana):
http://dk-tools.amazonwebstore.com/Amana-59004-ROSETTE-CUTTER-Head-For/M/B000FWCYF2.htm

I hope this is useful information...

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Dave,
I didn't read your first thread when I made the earlier reply. Here is a quick suggetion for the bottom of the post if you are still evaluating. You could either have two doors or those swing down storage drawers are nice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS