Design help

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I have a friend that is interested in something similar to display as art.

Not sure how big the blocks are, maybe 1.5"? How would you go about cutting these.

Thinking I'd get 6/4 stock and start ripping into long square pieces. Then cut into 3" lengths and then cut those in half at an angle. Repeat... many times.

Lumber suggestions? Something lite weight!

Thoughts?

Screenshot_20210113-215015_Gallery.jpg

ck1999

Chris
User
I think after the many many cuts would be the sanding and finishing of each piece prior to assembly. Especially since it appears to have a shine and reflection from each piece.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
It looks like there's only a few angles and the pieces are rotated for suitable randomness. You could probably batch cut 10–20 or so at at time on a miter saw. The harder part would be sanding, but you could disk sand them each angle group at a time.

They look about 1/2" square to me based on the wood grain in the lower left corner. Glue them all to an MDF backer for simplified mounting on a wall.

The designer in me would want to try doing this via wood species alone... holly to ebony. But you could easily stain poplar, which would greatly simplify the project and save cost by buying the dowels already the finished size.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looking at the floor boards, they appear to be about 3.5 -4 inches wide. That would make the blocks about 2 as David suggested. Only the face has to be smooth. So, I would make 2x2 squares then cut each one in half on the long grain at about 30 degrees. A purpose built sled would be the fastest and most accurate way to cut. Sled could be designed to cut 5 blocks at a time but I’m not sure that would be any faster... maybe.

striker

New User
Stephen
looks like 28 rows from floor to ceiling. @ 3 in blocks that would put it at a 7 foot ceiling height. Hard to tell what truly is going on there. Is it 7 ft ceiling? is it really the floor we're seeing? Probably prudent to measure the actual space and divide # of blocks into it. Also, maybe come up with a moulding to conceal any height irregularities.

I think what you have for a saw and ability to nest multiple blocks will determine how to saw.

wondering what happens w change in humidity?

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I have done something similar before in making a table top. The most difficult part is actually the glue up keeping everything in line. I will be interested in how you complete that portion. My pieces were 3/4 by 3/4 and there were about 700 of them in the top. Having all the angles will actually make this easier to get an attractive appearance.

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I believe she sent a photo of one that was 40"×80" and thus determine the blocks were about 1.25" square. She hasnt decided on the size she wants yet. I'm going to make a much smaller one to see how it goes.

1.25" squares and 40"×80" will equal a little over 2000 pieces if my math is close! Lets hope she decides on something a bit smaller.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, I found the original image if it helps:
etsy.com_SchondesignShop_Homey.jpg

It's made by an Etsy shop SchondesignShop. It is 28 rows high, so if sitting on a 30" high table and the 20th row is 60" tall (average eye level and horizontal, parallel with the horizon line) that makes each square 1-1/2" square.

I take back my suggestion to mount on a backer board, the expansion/contraction factor is too large.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS