Design Help Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken said that NCWW will be demonstrating at an AAW event and they have standards that have to me met (I think it's in Raleigh, June or July 2019).

The AAW links that Dee2 provided describe Lexan safety shields that are 24" x 36" x 1/8" and Phil is suggesting 30" x 36" for our NCWW lathes. We may not have much leeway to play with the basic design.

1/4" thick is what I read in both BoMs, FWIW.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
1/4" thick is what I read in both BoMs, FWIW.

Thanks Gene, you are correct. From you AAW links:

• 1 each ~ 2’ x 3’ by 1/4” thick clear poly carb

Safety panel
1⁄4” thick lexan or Plexiglas safety panel available from Home Depot or Lowes

Last edited:

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
If you plan to use 8020 aluminum extrusions, I would suggest you use their eBay store as their prices will be substantially lower than a source like Graingers. JMTCW.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A lot has changed since I messed with the AAW years back. Back then it was a standard stunt for the turner to fill someone's lap with green wood shavings. Most of this safety shield worry came about when a long haired student girl was tragically killed using a big metal lathe late at night unsupervised. Right after that, our club experimented with those safety shields for a few meetings. They're great for those standing close by, but for a seated audience, a safety shield becomes a light reflector. If AAW dictates their use during AAW sponsored functions, then the rules are the rules, but most club meetings don't use them any more.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Bob,

That was indeed a very awful lathe accident and an important reminder of both the importance of securing long hair (something I occasionally have to be aware of depending upon how long my hair is at that moment in time) and loose clothing/jewelry as well as the importance of knowing where the emergency kill switch is at all times.

I would very much like to believe that her loss may have helped to save others from the same fate as those are images that should never fade from one’s mind...but we humans have such feeble memories I suspect many have long since forgotten.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks Gene, you are correct. From you AAW links:

• 1 each ~ 2’ x 3’ by 1/4” thick clear poly carb

Safety panel
1⁄4” thick lexan or Plexiglas safety panel available from Home Depot or Lowes

Although easier to scratch and more expensive, IIRC, polycarbonate (Lexan) is more impact resistant and less brittle than Acrylic (Plexiglas).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS