Design for new dining chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Nothing fancy, but this is the new design, or at least probably will be, for the dining chairs to go with the new table. Only little difference from normal construction is the side rails are morticed in to the back legs on the large chamfer that runs the full height of the leg. This detail picks up on the large edge chamfers on the table legs and will also be in a contrasting colour as on the table. Bas - of course the side rails will be joined to the front legs with sliding,tapered, angled, interlocking dovetails, just like on the coffee table!!

Chair_close_detail.jpg

Chair_41.jpg

Chair_31.jpg

Chair_21.jpg

Chair_12.jpg

Thanks for looking, criticism or comments welcome!!

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
The bottom of the back legs need to be cut at an angle to be level with the floor, right now the back of the legs are up off the floor. Can you rotate so we can see the corner bracing and how the seat is attached. I'm not much into black fabric but that's a personal preference thing. Thanks

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
You might also want to consider some bracing for the legs. Some chairs have them and some do not. Bracing will make them stronger and less likely to work loose at the joints.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I like them a lot. Wouldn't change a thing. :icon_thum

They will look great with the table.

pete

DavidF

New User
David
The bottom of the back legs need to be cut at an angle to be level with the floor, right now the back of the legs are up off the floor. Can you rotate so we can see the corner bracing and how the seat is attached. I'm not much into black fabric but that's a personal preference thing. Thanks

Yeh, yeh, I know, it's just that I used a flex command in the CAD for the back legs and haven't cut the bottom of the leg yet.

There will be corner bracing underneath the seat as normal. The seat will be a "slip" seat set in a rabbet cut in the rail.

DavidF

New User
David
You might also want to consider some bracing for the legs. Some chairs have them and some do not. Bracing will make them stronger and less likely to work loose at the joints.

No stretchers on this one! The DT joints to the front legs will give a lot of strength and the rear will be full M&T in to the back legs. The table has a very open, uncluttered look so the chairs have to reflect the same simple lines with strength coming from well fitting joints.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
No stretchers on this one! The DT joints to the front legs will give a lot of strength and the rear will be full M&T in to the back legs. The table has a very open, uncluttered look so the chairs have to reflect the same simple lines with strength coming from well fitting joints.

10-4 - much better than dowels on most store bought chairs that's for sure. I like the clean lines. I can't tell from the pictures but will the back legs have the same foot flare as the front legs?

How wide of a board will be needed for a back leg?

Thanks

DavidF

New User
David
10-4 - much better than dowels on most store bought chairs that's for sure. I like the clean lines. I can't tell from the pictures but will the back legs have the same foot flare as the front legs?

How wide of a board will be needed for a back leg?

Thanks

The flare is the same at 0.5 Deg, but the base of the front let is 34mm square and the base of the back leg is 40mm sq. The max width dim of the back leg from the rear corner at the top to the front were the seat will go is about 68mm so under 2 3/4". The back tilts back about 5 Deg and is about 1000mm high. Taller than most dining chairs to give a bit more grace to the shape - I hope!

nelsone

New User
Ed
Are you just looking for refinements on this design? I like the design, but...

I am wondering if you could incorporate the floating effect on the chairs like the table has. Maybe split the rails in half and add the risers like the table has??? Too much???:dontknow: It would take some creativity, but I have no doubt that you are up to it!:icon_thum

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
I like the design David, looks good. (Agree with your decision not to add bottom stretchers).
How do you plan to do the curved back splat? Is is upholstered or curved plywood?
What program did you use to create your renderings?

DavidF

New User
David
Are you just looking for refinements on this design? I like the design, but...

I am wondering if you could incorporate the floating effect on the chairs like the table has. Maybe split the rails in half and add the risers like the table has??? Too much???:dontknow: It would take some creativity, but I have no doubt that you are up to it!:icon_thum

I like the thought of that??? I'll push around some ideas and put them out here.

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
David,

As usual, the render is absolutely stunning. As far as the design is concerned, I like the simple elegance. As you have already said, adding any stretchers would negate the overall effect of simplicity that you have achieved. My only observation is that the front legs look ever so slightly heavy, at least to my eye. I am a big fan of a reverse taper like you have here, but I wonder if the foot cross section can't be decreased just a bit. Are the legs straight tapers, or curves? I tend toward a very subtle curve. I think this adds a little more lightness to the body of the leg, but leaves the mass of the foot. This is a very nit picky point, and certainly quite subjective.

I would also like to see more detail of the joints, especially the front leg/rail joints. Do you plan to build a full scale mock up before doing the real thing? A chair can look good on paper, but you never know if it's going to "sit well" until you actually sit in it.

Whatever you do, I'm sure the final result will be spectacular.:thumbs_up

Matt

DavidF

New User
David
I like the design David, looks good. (Agree with your decision not to add bottom stretchers).
How do you plan to do the curved back splat? Is is upholstered or curved plywood?
What program did you use to create your renderings?

The back is upholstered on both sides, but I am considering using thin 1/4" or so that would take a slight bend and setting it in to a curved slot in the crest rail and bottom rail....

The program is SolidWorks with Photoworks for the rendering.

DavidF

New User
David
David,

As usual, the render is absolutely stunning. As far as the design is concerned, I like the simple elegance. As you have already said, adding any stretchers would negate the overall effect of simplicity that you have achieved. My only observation is that the front legs look ever so slightly heavy, at least to my eye. I am a big fan of a reverse taper like you have here, but I wonder if the foot cross section can't be decreased just a bit. Are the legs straight tapers, or curves? I tend toward a very subtle curve. I think this adds a little more lightness to the body of the leg, but leaves the mass of the foot. This is a very nit picky point, and certainly quite subjective.

I would also like to see more detail of the joints, especially the front leg/rail joints. Do you plan to build a full scale mock up before doing the real thing? A chair can look good on paper, but you never know if it's going to "sit well" until you actually sit in it.

Whatever you do, I'm sure the final result will be spectacular.:thumbs_up

Matt

Hi Matt

The front legs are square section with a chamfer on the corners which tends to lighten them. Not sure that a curve on this design would be in keeping with the theme.

I haven't drawn the full joint detail at this point, but this picture of the leg joint on the coffee table which is from the same theme "set" shows what it will look like.

DSCF0002.JPG

They are the full length of the rails and intersect with each other which gives an interesting talking point.

I don't usually bother with full scale mockups as the CAD normally gives me what I need, but in this case I will make one from a "sitting" point of view.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Can you (or have you) place the chair in a few pics of the table for perspective?

I really like the design and don't know that I would do much more than tweak at this point if I were in your shoes.

Chuck

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Yeh, yeh, I know, it's just that I used a flex command in the CAD for the back legs and haven't cut the bottom of the leg yet.

There will be corner bracing underneath the seat as normal. The seat will be a "slip" seat set in a rabbet cut in the rail.

Very Very Nice Chairs David, I like them a lot.

And I thought that the angle on the back legs was for leaning back~!!! Way Back!!! :rotflm:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I love the design David. Can't wait to see it in real life. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

DavidF

New User
David
I love the design David. Can't wait to see it in real life. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Umm, you might need to make the trip across the pond to see these in real life, I am not going to have the time to complete them before I disappear from these shores... But you are very welcome!!

DavidF

New User
David
Can you (or have you) place the chair in a few pics of the table for perspective?

I really like the design and don't know that I would do much more than tweak at this point if I were in your shoes.

Chuck

Like this?

Table_and_chair.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS