Design and verify

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Just for the record this is a facility of the NC branch of the AIA. American Institute of Architects.
The American Institute of Architects (AIA) is a professional organization for architects in the United States. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the AIA offers education, government advocacy, community redevelopment, and public outreach to support the architecture profession and improve its public image.

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
That slot was in the design from the very beginning, in the contest winning entry sketch. I always figured they'd float the sign inside it, as either a punched metal grill or on a frosted piece of glass. The silver letters on stand-offs looks like some kind of value engineering decision or worry about vandalism. I agree, they do read poorly on the stone in sunlight, ironically, during all daylight hours since this is due South.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
That slot was in the design from the very beginning, in the contest winning entry sketch. I always figured they'd float the sign inside it, as either a punched metal grill or on a frosted piece of glass. The silver letters on stand-offs looks like some kind of value engineering decision or worry about vandalism. I agree, they do read poorly on the stone in sunlight, ironically, during all daylight hours since this is due South.
Thanks for adding some clarity - a design contest, I wonder what the losing entry looked like? Now, I will chuckle a bit more each time I see this. How many people saw this and said nothing, sort of like the emperor has no clothes story

Charlie

Charlie
Corporate Member
I drove by an auto shop sign many times and never could read it. That bugged me so one day
I pulled into the parking lot and still couldn't read it. The sign was blues and greens with very little contrast.
Black and white, red and white, etc., have worked for years. Lol.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
I spent a good many years as a graphic & dimensional designer. I was in the City Engineering Dept. I did a lot of construction site signs. The artist who did those prior to my stuff used 2 colors white & brown with black type. The most common color on a construction site is mud. When I started the signs I used vivid colors and tried to represent what was going to be on the site.

Any one who thinks any body can design a sign needs to drive through a commercial area and take a look.

Pop

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just noticed another glitch: IIRC, the handrails should have had a horizontal leg at the bottom 12" beyond the last projected tread similar to the top of the rail on the left ascending side. Where was their ADA book?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was not trying to offend anyone, not the designer nor the builder. As a builder, I think the fault goes to all.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
The way I've heard it is - people will rise to their level of incompetence.
What I've observed is the smart ones then delegate to someone who can cover their butt
The others delegate to someone less threatening, or are blind to their own incompetence and blunder ahead.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Am I the only person here that doesn't know the PETER PRINCIPLE? Bruce, you must explain further so us Burke County folks can understand! :D

Google says "The Peter Principle is an observation that the tendency in most organizational hierarchies, such as that of a corporation, is for every employee to rise in the hierarchy through promotion until they reach a level of respective incompetence. "

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just noticed another glitch: IIRC, the handrails should have had a horizontal leg at the bottom 12" beyond the last projected tread similar to the top of the rail on the left ascending side. Where was their ADA book?

Just for Reference, NC Building Code references ANSI ICC A117.1-2009 for accessibility. Around 2010, the ADA and ICC revised the requirements that the 12" extension at the bottom of the stair shall "extend at the SLOPE of the stair flight for a horizontal distance equal to one tread depth beyond the tread nosing." This looks like what they have done. The top of the rail still has the 12" horizontal distance extension. I remember this was a big change when it came out.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just for Reference, NC Building Code references ANSI ICC A117.1-2009 for accessibility. Around 2010, the ADA and ICC revised the requirements that the 12" extension at the bottom of the stair shall "extend at the SLOPE of the stair flight for a horizontal distance equal to one tread depth beyond the tread nosing." This looks like what they have done. The top of the rail still has the 12" horizontal distance extension. I remember this was a big change when it came out.
Thanks. I missed that one.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
The building over all is quite "unique" also. It looks like they had a hat full of design features and pulled several out to build the building.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS