Dentil Molding Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I've not made dentil molding before. I'm a Dentil Molding virgin, so be nice to me :) My case is exactly 28" wide and 11" deep. I plan on making the molding with a router and have the standard 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 5/8 and 7/8 straight bits to cut the gaps between the teeth. My question is which bit should I use and how wide should I make the teeth? So when I miter the molding the teeth will line up with width and depth of the cabinet.

Thanks

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I've not made dentil molding before. I'm a Dentil Molding virgin, so be nice to me :) My case is exactly 28" wide and 11" deep. I plan on making the molding with a router and have the standard 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 5/8 and 7/8 straight bits to cut the gaps between the teeth. My question is which bit should I use and how wide should I make the teeth? So when I miter the molding the teeth will line up with width and depth of the cabinet.

Thanks

I made a jig for the tablesaw to make dental molding with a dado blade. 3/4" dental. :gar-Bi when you coming by?:rotflm: we can do it in just a couple minutes.:icon_thum

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since I read the post about the Fibonacci thingy I can't get the idea out of my head. I'd think you could make a jig similar to the one used for making box joints. The teeth ought to be 5/8 as wide as they are tall and the gap should be 5/8 as wide as they are wide. In other words if you made a 1" wide tooth it ought to be 1-5/8" tall and 5/8" gap.
Just a suggestion...........

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I made a jig for the tablesaw to make dental molding with a dado blade. 3/4" dental. :gar-Bi when you coming by?:rotflm: we can do it in just a couple minutes.:icon_thum

Why don't we have a "Jigs" forum, so you guys can post all your cool jigs for us to ohh and ahh over?

So the teeth are 3/4 wide and the gap is 1/4 wide?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I didn't know there was a As a general rule of thumb for dentil molding (who would have thought?) From wikipedia "The projection of the dentil is equal to its width, and the intervals between to half the width." Do you believe everything you read on the Internet? I don't...

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I made mine from poplar with a detail routed in. the teeth and gaps are 3/4x3/4 and a 3/4" space from the top of the gap to the crown molding. this was for a mantle. sorry didn't get pics.:gar-Bi looked great but it was painted.:gar-Cr

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
think box joint jig on steroids used on the top of some baseboard. same principal. :gar-Bi

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
think box joint jig on steroids used on the top of some baseboard. same principal. :gar-Bi

Fred may be onto something here, Jeff.

You may want to talk to Joe Scharle again about the box joint jig. Here is a pic of a jig that he helped me with awhile back and am sure that it would make that dentil pretty slick (as long as the pieces of molding aren't like 8' long. Then it may get tricky.)

DSC00327.JPG

Wayne

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I figured the dentil molding out, it wasn't to bad after I stared at a pile of wood for a while thinking about it. I did a 1" sq tooth, 1/2" tall with a 1/2" gap. I set up my dado stack for 1/2" in the table saw and used the miter gauge and the fence. It happened to work out to a easy pattern of moving the fence 1 3/8" from the prior cut then 1 7/8" from the next cut then back to 1 3/8 then 1 7/8. The pattern repeated till I was at the end of the board. The best part I didn't even have to call Fred and no fancy jigs needed :gar-Bi

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
For those who asked, here's the dentil molding close up. It's made up of 4 pieces of wood. 7/8 cove on the bottom, 1" dentil in the middle and a upside down 7/8 ogee, the 4th piece is 1" wide (I don't remember the thickness) behind the dentil to bring it forward. All the pieces glued up make it 2 1/8" thick by 2 3/4" tall. As you can see the chippers on my old dado set are not all that good. Glad I got a new set from Brian :)

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/1713/medium/DM.JPG
DM.JPG

Thanks

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That is some real nice looking Dentil Molding. You'd have to look really close to see the marks from your Dado.

And I couldn't have done better, Way to go on your First Dentil Molding adventure~!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS