Denatured Alcohol

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Can you purchase (legally) 190 proof everclear in North Carolina? Folks who French polish say the best results is with shellac dissolved in 190 proof ethanol.

When I use denatured alcohol, I try to find DNA’s that have the lowest % of methanol content.

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
Last year, someone that lives in Durham told me that he uses a brand called "Diesel"
Matt thanks, I think I may know who the someone is.

Never heard of the Diesel brand, I guess I should have asked more generically, if 190 proof grain alcohol was available in NC.

mdbuntyn

Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Matt thanks, I think I may know who the someone is.

Never heard of the Diesel brand, I guess I should have asked more generically, if 190 proof grain alcohol was available in NC.
I just looked through the ABC Board website, and it looks like 1.5L bottles of 190 proof Everclear should be available in store. The Diesel brand and another that I didn't take note of should be available via special order.

Bill Anderson—he teaches classes at the Woodwright's School—uses +95% isopropyl alcohol.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Hmm to clear up the California solvent issue. There is not a ban on Mineral spirits nor on acetone or several other solvent based products. There is a Regulation that is state wide limiting VOC output. However, certain counties have banned certain solvents (San Diego, Orange, L.A) and bay area due to their population density. Outside these area, it appears the only real ban is on MEK that is statewide.
The main ban on chemicals that got so many in a tiff were chemicals that were in cosmetics.
Seeing how I bought Denatured Alcohol, Acetone and Mineral Spirits when I was in California in May this year, (in a rural county) kinda suggests there is more confusion in the Google and web postings than reality.

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
Hmm to clear up the California solvent issue. There is not a ban on Mineral spirits nor on acetone or several other solvent based products. There is a Regulation that is state wide limiting VOC output. However, certain counties have banned certain solvents (San Diego, Orange, L.A) and bay area due to their population density. Outside these area, it appears the only real ban is on MEK that is statewide.
The main ban on chemicals that got so many in a tiff were chemicals that were in cosmetics.
Seeing how I bought Denatured Alcohol, Acetone and Mineral Spirits when I was in California in May this year, (in a rural county) kinda suggests there is more confusion in the Google and web postings than reality.
When I researched this recently, I was unable to find any California statue that banned denatured alcohol. However, if you google 'denatured alcohol banned in California
, you are presented with over 61,000 hits. I suspect that is is probably a ban in certain counties, mostly in southern California.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
CA is one of the largest markets, if not the largest market, in the country. It's easier to remove DNA from the website than it is to develop the necessary workarounds that would allow people in other states to order it, or check if it's in stock
Some time back I needed some ABS pipe and fittings for an application where it was specified by the equipment manufacturer. Let my fingers do the walking and found HD carried it but only in TX. Found it in a local mobile home supply store, but not in large quantity. The can list it, but it's probably an issue of a lazy website division not willing to make the changes and simply thinking, "One less egg to fry."
JMTCW

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS