Demilune Tables Part 2: the joinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Ok I got the spelling right this time:wink_smil
So after Part 1 we had the aprons laminated. Now we get to cut the mortise and tenons and lap joint to attach the legs to the apron. I have recently aquired a JDS multi router and thought this would be a good "technical" exercise in compound angle joinery so I looked at what I wanted to do and realized 1st I'd need to build a "cradle" for the apron to hold it secure on the multi-router to cut the tenons.

But 1st...... we have to make the apron so that it will sit flat on a table. Here's how. I used my trusty MDF template to measure the depth I wanted my apron to be and then I marked that on the apron on each side and used a straight board to connect the lines Then use this baord to cut the apron flush using an offset fence
demuline_post_1_024_Small_.jpg

View image in gallery

Now the apron ends are flush and I marked out the tenons on the apron and took it over to the multi router to cut the tenons. I put it in its cradle tilted the horizontal table until the apron ends were flush with the vertical table and secured everything. Here's what it looked like:

Then we rout away and this is what the finished tenon looked like:

Notice how the tenon is offset and how it's 90 degrees to the apron. This is way I love the Multi router.

I then cut the other apron the same way and cut the mortises in the legs on the multi router.
This was just for the rear legs. The front legs are just lap joints. But 1st we have to cut the notch in the apron. Again the cradle came in handy here as I laid out the notch on the cradle and took the whole thing over to the table saw with a sliding table and dado stack.

I then cut the back part of the notch on the multi router and cleared out the bottom portion again on the table saw with the dado stack. Then I cut a 1/2 groove in the front legs on the multi router and here's what the finished joint looks like:

So the tables are roughly put together. What I didn't detail was the rear apron joinery which is pretty straightfoward 90 degree mortise and tenon stuff. (although the tenon do meet inside the legs so they had to be cut at an angle)

Next post we cut the taper on the legs and move on to inlay. It'll be my 1st experience with string inlay and the practice so far has been super fun.

Thanks

leftoflefty

New User
Ricky
First off, very nice work. I think the table is looking good so far. I can't wait to see it put together. Second, that is some seriously complex looking methods you got going on there. Wow:eusa_thin
Third, thats a pretty sweet looking shop you got there. I'd like to just see some pictures of it alone.:gar-Bi

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Good step by step Mike.
How long does it take to set up the JDS for the angled tenons?

(Seems like posts about woodworking get the least amount of replies.) :eusa_thin

pete

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Pete-

believe it or not it doesn't take that long to set the JDS up for the angled joinery. It took me awhile this time because I didn't have any practice pieces so I wanted to make sure when I made the cut I wasn't going to screw up the aprons. It's surprisingly simple, and the best part of all is that it's repeatable over and over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS