demilune fit for scrap - gutted

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Well, I have routed out the lake and have purchased the "mirror coat" from "System three" so if anything goes wrong I am blaming Steve Coles entirely without hesitation:lol:; however, if goes well, I get to take all the credit:icon_thum

We shall see........

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
David, how is the table coming along? I haven't seen anything mentioned since you got it re-routed out and were ready to use the "Mirror Coat". How did the pour go for you. I hope everything worked out like you were hoping.

D L

DavidF

New User
David
Well, I have sealed the surrounding edge with mirror coat to seal in the air in the wood grain. I have made 2 x 1/4' pours and so far the results are good. The first pour was trickier, because of the air trapped in the latex that was used to fix the clear acrylic base to the "lake". CONSTANT vigilance for 6 hrs armed with a small blow torch left me with only 2 small flaws in the layer. The second pour was much better behaved and needed only 4 hrs of careful watching with BT to end with only one small bubble, probably caused by a small void in the sealer coat around the edge. Tonight will see layer 3 of 4. The mirror coat is a super product (Thanks Steve) and will do nicely. Gel time is approx 6 hrs with full cure in 24. They say that it is not resistant to yellowing with exposure to UV so suggest covering with another product. I am using water base "Ceramithane" for the rest of the table which has good anti UV properties. I used this to maintain the red of the Padauk and the black of the ebonized legs. I need to do an adhesion test between the epoxy and the final finish as some things do no adhere well. Bottom line - looking good so far, but not there yet. :eusa_pray

Thanks for asking.

DavidF

New User
David
The third pour last night was perfect - got it licked!
Tonights job is to fill the remaining 1/4" with water to get the table EXACTLY level; suck out the water, dry the area and pout the last layer. I know I am obsessing about this, but it's got to be right or you know whats going to happen to it....:saw:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Congratulations David and good luck with the final pour. I look forward to seeing photos of your table once it is completed.

D L

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Re: demilune fit for scrap - gutted- NOT

The masterpiece is nearing completion!!
Congratulations!!

I had the pleasure meeting David the past weekend and looking at the table up close. ....and it was a humbling experience. The craftsmanship, design and execution is outstanding on all his furniture. In comparison I guess I am ranking as a woodbutcher.

Great Work!

Bernhard

DavidF

New User
David
Bernard, Thank you so much for the kind words. It was great to meet you and see the pictures of the new house. How did the pics you took of the table turn out? I would love to see them, can you put them in your gallery for me?

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
David,

The pictures turned out good. BUT my card reader died. I plan to get a replacement this afternoon. If all goes well the pictures should be on the way by later on this evening.

Bernhard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS