Delta Midi Lathe LA200 wont turn on

Billm0066

New User
Bill
I am brand new to turning. By brand new I mean I have turned 2.5 things so far. I was rounding off some glued up stock and I heard a noise and saw a spark. I couldnt tell where it came from but I think it came from the lathe. Breaker didnt trip and no issues with the outlet, but my lathe wont turn on. Noise was like a popping sound. I tried several outlets. I could faintly smell a slight burning odor in my shed. I bought this used from facebook and it functioned perfect. Just wondering what the issue could be and if its fixable? I paid $275 for it so not a huge investment. I would probably put money towards a different one rather than spend a couple hundred to fix this. Any ideas?

If this one is a dud I am looking for a lathe in the Raleigh area. Would prefer one about the same size. If anyone knows of anything. Im keeping tabs on craigslist and facebook.

Last edited:

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
Sounds like it might be a blown start capacitor. I've never replaced one, but i don't think it's that bad. If you blow the replaced one, then there's another wiring issue that's the root cause.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Hey Bill, I see you're in Raleigh. I'm an Electrical Engineer. If you'd like to bring it by Saturday, we can dig into it and see if we can figure out what's broke and if it's fixable. I'm in Chapel Hill about 2 miles off 40 at exit 266.
Michael

Billm0066

New User
Bill
Hey Bill, I see you're in Raleigh. I'm an Electrical Engineer. If you'd like to bring it by Saturday, we can dig into it and see if we can figure out what's broke and if it's fixable. I'm in Chapel Hill about 2 miles off 40 at exit 266.
Michael

Thank you! I sent you a pm. Its very kind of you.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS