Delta Lathe

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Anyone know much about Delta Lathes ? I am going to look at this one 400 is what he is asking for The unit is likely a 1.5-2 hp 120/15 amp motor

1566159423171.jpeg
1566159423171.jpeg

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I could be mistaken, but that doesn't look like a Delta. There's something about the head stock that seems off. It could be a much older model. Does the Kauai sticker indicate Kauai Woodturners, or is that a brand name?

I have a ca. 1995 Delta lathe I bought new. It's been a good machine. Doesn't have variable speed built in, but I can live w/ that considering how little turning I actually do.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Somebody has been playing with rattle can paint colors.
Its a standard Delta 46-612 HD lathe (or 46-613).
the middle tailstock is a heavy one from the early 1460 12" wood lathes. The tailstock on the end appears to be missing a quill. The old tailstock is a plus.
Be sure the speed varies and holds at whatever setting.
Lots of info on those machines over at OWWM.org

Attachments

• WL3D.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 119

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Thanks Guys,

Either way if the table and bearings are ok, then I might get it I have a PACM Motor (2Hp) it would allow me to vary the speed with a variable controller. I think it probably is a 4 speed unit.

Pretty sure the guy who has it doesn't know what he has. A lot of people here do not know what they have, either they price way high or way low, that seems to be the standard here in Hawaii.

*** Kauai Woodworkers is the decal. THe guy who had it thought it would look more Cheery if he painted it ........... not sure why those colors, but there is a story behind it though :p

It also looks a little like a General 260

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
General, back in the day, imitated a lot of American designs. Their model 260, while looking a lot like the Delta, had some differences internally that seemed to make it more popular with wood turners back in the 1990s.

Considering the location of the mag starter, I suspect that lathe is from 1970 ± 5 years.

There seems to be some missing parts on the speed dial. Often a seller with feign ignorance to avoid pointing out something that may not be favorable. The old "plausible deniability" thing.
Be cautious. Maybe look to see what the seller chose as a replacement lathe. $400 is pretty cheap for that lathe if its in good working condition. Delta's 1992 price listed that lathe at $3196.00 so that's the quality level lathe you'd be building.

1 46-613.jpg

awldune

Sam
User
Looks like a nice catch if:

Everything is in good working order
You have the means to move it (looks like a bear to move!)
You don't need more than a 12'' swing.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Ok I got it......... Bearings are good, motor is a 1hp Delta Rockwell in good shape it is CVT style speed controller. Meaning, when you move the handle the size of pulleys shift along a shaft ...not 4 pulleys on each side but rather, just one on each side that can change sheave size.

Table is straight .......... The paint Job was intended to be Red/White/Blue for the Colors of the flag (Go! USA !!) ..... got it.

Now, does anyone know a good chiropractor ??? :p :oops:;) that thing is got to be more than 400 lbs ..........

Also came with 3 tool guides 2 90 degree and one straight. 2-tailstocks one is pretty industrial

Now to clean it up and go through everything to make sure it is in tip-top shape

Thanks for all your input

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors