Delta jointer... Is this decent model

Trey1984

Trey
User
I found a jointer and suppose to go pick up this afternoon. Wondering if anyone has or has one like this and if so was it decent model. I got old Craftsman and outfeed has no adjustment and I'm not getting square stock like I think I should. Reason being I'm wanting another jointer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230321-124716.png
    Screenshot_20230321-124716.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 75

ssmith

New User
Scott
The jointer is very similar to my Ridgid JPO610, so I suspect yours is made by the same company (Emerson Electric?).

Mine's roughly 25 YO and other than the cutterhead bearings, is still running fine. They went out this year. I replaced the entire cutterhead, including the bearings, and it's back to 100%.

You may need to spend some time cleaning it up and dialing in the ways to get the infeed & outfeed tables properly aligned.

Trey1984

Trey
User
The jointer is very similar to my Ridgid JPO610, so I suspect yours is made by the same company (Emerson Electric?).

Mine's roughly 25 YO and other than the cutterhead bearings, is still running fine. They went out this year. I replaced the entire cutterhead, including the bearings, and it's back to 100%.

You may need to spend some time cleaning it up and dialing in the ways to get the infeed & outfeed tables properly aligned.
Talking about cutter head I looked up and seen you can get helical cutter head for it so that's also a plus. If ever go that route at least have the option.

Trey1984

Trey
User
There was a bunch of pics looks really good like whoever didn't use it much or took good care of it. So will see this evening

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
One of two. The underside of the blade guard will say if it is an early Emerson ( Taiwan) or the later mainland. Both are just fine ( I have the Ridgid/Emerson). Only reason to care which is which is when you buy the helical head, there are two different diameters. Good tool.

Belt is crap. Put on a decent Gates AX series cogged belt. You may need a block of wood under the motor to get the right length as the Chinese love to use unique size belts. I put in a LUX head as I got real tired of sharpening and setting up the blades. I was able to get the beds dead true by only one little bit of a beer can shim. The only thing to double check is that the beds are not twisted. Tilt you can adjust, twist not. This goes for any iron table. So take your winding sticks and a good strait edge.

Of course that Oliver down at Klingspor looks sweet! Alas, big and expensive. I am keeping my Ridgid.

Trey1984

Trey
User
Went and picked it up Tuesday night. Was really clean the guy bought going to get into wood working and never did. Table need to be cleaned and going to order new blades but runs like a champ. It's a lot heavier than what thought was going to be. Was fun unloading by myself.

Trey1984

Trey
User
One of two. The underside of the blade guard will say if it is an early Emerson ( Taiwan) or the later mainland. Both are just fine ( I have the Ridgid/Emerson). Only reason to care which is which is when you buy the helical head, there are two different diameters. Good tool.

Belt is crap. Put on a decent Gates AX series cogged belt. You may need a block of wood under the motor to get the right length as the Chinese love to use unique size belts. I put in a LUX head as I got real tired of sharpening and setting up the blades. I was able to get the beds dead true by only one little bit of a beer can shim. The only thing to double check is that the beds are not twisted. Tilt you can adjust, twist not. This goes for any iron table. So take your winding sticks and a good strait edge.

Of course that Oliver down at Klingspor looks sweet! Alas, big and expensive. I am keeping my Ridgid.
Talking about the belt does it make a big difference. Yeah the lux head is in stock but be little bit before get one but it is on the list. Along with many other things 😁. Going to mess with it tonight and work on getting it cleaned up and set up.

ssmith

New User
Scott
Good advice from Scott (@tvrgeek). I ended up shimming my outfeed table with a 0.003" brass shim to get it aligned, and the Lux cut head is awesome. And yes, those jointers are heavy buggers.

Last edited:

mpeele

michael
User
You can get shim stock from McMaster-Carr. It comes in rolls, sheets and other shapes and materials. You can also get 1/2" feeler gauge stock in 10' lengths. Feeler gauge stock is cheeper than shim stock.

ssmith

New User
Scott
You may not need to shim it at all but if you do I'd try a cut-up aluminum can first.

If that's too thick, you can find shim stock on Amazon and other places. Search for "brass shim stock assortment".

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
Talking about the belt does it make a big difference. Yeah the lux head is in stock but be little bit before get one but it is on the list. Along with many other things 😁. Going to mess with it tonight and work on getting it cleaned up and set up.
I recently replaced the belts on my vintage table saw and drill press with adjustable length PowerTwist V belts. They made a world of difference. The vibration and noise particularly of the table saw were dramatically reduced. If I had a jointer with an old belt. I’d do the same.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I recently replaced the belts on my vintage table saw and drill press with adjustable length PowerTwist V belts. They made a world of difference. The vibration and noise particularly of the table saw were dramatically reduced. If I had a jointer with an old belt. I’d do the same.
Do pay attention to brands. It has been reported some of the cheap clones doe not perform as well as the real power twist belts. Also note the "color" specification. Different colors define different pitch angles. Power Twist belts do not take a "set" which is a big deal.

I believe a lot of the satisfaction with the Power Twist belts is not just being a good product, but replacing the absolute garbage belts made in China. For some reason, a round belt with a smooth splice seems to be beyond them. On my Table Saw, it was obvious the three belts were not even the same length as their tension varied. A set from D&D, consistent but being standard non-cogged ( like Gates AX series) they do take a little set. Fortunatlly, most tool makers are moving to wide multi-rib belts which work far better and are cheaper than the link belts.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS