Delta dust collector clogging

Status
Not open for further replies.

swifty

New User
swifty
I hace a 720-1 hp and a 750 1 1/2 hp. Both clog rige at the grill that is in front of the impeller blades.
I have tried different lents of 4 inch hose and it still clogs. One DC is connected to a Dewalt 13 inch planner and the other is connected to a Powermatic 650 jointer. I am considering cutting out the grill which is a 2 stamped steel rods at 90 degrees much like crosshairs.
Ideas or comments, have you had the same problems?

owen299

Dan Bowen
User
Had the same problem with my Delta. I took the cross pieces out. I would not use it as a floor sweep because large chunks can go directly to blades. Hasn't seemed to effect anything else.:dontknow:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
mine did the same thing. they don't handle chips too well with that cross shaped piece in there. I cut it out and never had a clog since. 3 yrs and all is well.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I would be reluctant to remove the grill. It is there to protect the impeller from large pieces.

Have you tried to reduce the amount of material you are removing in each pass? These machines produce a LOT of chips quickly.

JMTCW

Good luck,

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I never understood the logic in making a machine to collect chips and then putting something in line to stop the chips.:dontknow: the impeller is designed to take chips. I don't use mine to sweep the floor because it's a good way to loose small parts and tools!:rotflm: make a separator from a trash can. then if it does suck up something big it goes in the can, not in the impeller. If you leave the protective piece in there it will clog a lot.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I never understood the logic in making a machine to collect chips and then putting something in line to stop the chips.:dontknow: the impeller is designed to take chips. I don't use mine to sweep the floor because it's a good way to loose small parts and tools!:rotflm: make a separator from a trash can. then if it does suck up something big it goes in the can, not in the impeller. If you leave the protective piece in there it will clog a lot.

AGREED!! :icon_thum

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
Have you thought of a low flow velocity eperator to remove chips and allow only dust to enter collector? All you wouln need is a few pieces of pvc and a cardboard barrel or as others suggested a trash can. cut 4in hole inside of barrel connect a short piece pvc pipe, inside add a 22@1/2degree elbo. now in the top a 4in hole with another piece of pvc 4" inside connected to a 6 to 4 reducer hooh hoses to 4" on either side now all big stuff stays in barrel only dust goes into collecter.

Thanks MArk

swifty

New User
swifty
I tried a homemade version of the Oneida Dust deputy. I used a 20 gal steel barrel but the thing had too many air-leaks to work well and I really did not have room for it. I am either going to cut the things out or try to sell the thing and get an Oneida dust collector. I have a dust deputy on my table saw and my radial arm saw and it works very well.

M

McRabbet

Please explain:
i don't know what you mean by +1 inch on the separator.

Swifty,

+1 is forum jargon for agreeing with the earlier post about using a separator.

If you want a really good plan for a chip separator, check out this link. It can be used with a large shop vac or the connections can be made with 4" duct adapters for use with a conventional dust collector. It works very well in line with a planer or jointer that produce bigger chips, but is not designed to hold or capture fine dust. I hope to build one of larger scale for six inch duct to use with a larger cyclone for those big chip producers. Hope this helps (or HTH in forum jargon -- see our Lexicon!).

swifty

New User
swifty
I am making a Thilen cyclone dust collector so my Delta will provide the power and collect some dust but most of the chips will go into the can for my 1st stage. I will provide photos later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors