Delta drill press stop won't stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Using the drill press tonite and suddenly the depth stop won't stop. I hear something rolling around and from the diagram it looks like an Allen screw came loose inside. Should be an easy fix but I cannot figure out how to get the cap off/mechanism opened up. I took a pic of the part that needs to come of and did not want to disassemble the whole shaft mechanism before checking to see if anyone has been there done that first. Thanks all.

model 11-990

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1405.jpg
    IMG_1405.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I can't speak for your model, but often times breaking down the pinion/depth assembly requires removing the coiled spring pack (something to be very careful of when doing) so that you can then pull the complete pinion gear and shaft assembly clear through (realizing you will need to either lock the quill in place or capture and cushion it as it falls free when the spring tension is removed and the pinion and shaft pulled out of the rack (the rack is part of the quill column) since there will be nothing supporting it against gravity at that point.

You may be able to find some how-to advice if you search Google and YouTube, or at least find a similar style of drill press and use their breakdown info to at least help advise you as to what to expect, as well as downloading the exploded parts diagram for your specific drill press model, which can be most helpful when it comes to both disassembly and reassembly. There tends to be a lot of copying among many of the drill press models on the market over the years, so odds are reasonably well in your favor of finding something potentially helpful.

Best of luck!

JGregJ

Greg
User
I did a quick search and found a place that sells parts for delta drill presses -- it has some exploded diagrams and parts lists for a large number of models. This may not give you exact directions, but the exploded diagrams may help understand the mechanism w/o having to disassemble it. I noted it had links to a few videos -- nothing specific for your problem, but might help you locate others.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/delta-drill-press-parts-c-3275_3279.html

Note: I've never ordered from this site, it just showed up at top of Googles list when I did the search.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
FWIW, I've ordered from ereplacements and have had reasonable service; meaning, I would order from them again.
YMMV

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks all. I have the original manual and parts diagram. Have been all over utube & google, and have been to eraplacements (also had good service in the past), and a few other tool sites. So far I have struck out- so I think I am going to take it apart and figure it out.
If it goes badly, I guess you'll see some used drill press parts for sale next week!:gar-La;

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Have you called Delta tech support for their advice on your model 11-90.

I don't use the depth stop on my Craftsman because it never has held the setting. Mark the depth of cut on the side edge of the workpiece and raise the dp table to that depth with the quill extended to full depth and lock the table.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Have you called Delta tech support for their advice on your model 11-90.

I don't use the depth stop on my Craftsman because it never has held the setting. Mark the depth of cut on the side edge of the workpiece and raise the dp table to that depth with the quill extended to full depth and lock the table.
I have used hat very same method!

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Ok I took it apart and it was easy - maybe took ten minutes

attachment.php

Shaft comes out and the hole in the upper right of the circle is lonely
attachment.php

The offending part was kind enough to fall right on the table. Usually they try to escape under the bench or other hiding places....
attachment.php

A little loctite and hopefully we're good for another decade or two......

Attachments

• IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 131

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Ok I took it apart and it was easy - maybe took ten minutes

attachment.php

Shaft comes out and the hole in the upper right of the circle is lonely
attachment.php

The offending part was kind enough to fall right on the table. Usually they try to escape under the bench or other hiding places....
attachment.php

A little loctite and hopefully we're good for another decade or two......

Pictures didn't come through. BTW, what was the offending part that fell out of the lonely hole? Gotta be a reason why it simply and suddenly fell out! ?????? It wasn't installed at the factory with LocTite.

Part #50 (threaded stop pin) in the schematics...

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/stop-pin-p-82870.html?osCsid=u4bip58joggfcrcb2c8u7as7a7

Last edited:

Melinapex

Mark
Corporate Member
Yup that was the part. It must've unscrewed itself over the past 20 or so years I have had this tool, so am not complaining. Now it's in for good.

JGregJ

Greg
User
Happy to see you got it working. I noticed from the pics (and the exploded diagram of the 11-090) that your delta looks a lot like my Craftsman (vintage late 1980's) any know if Sears had delta build their tools back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS