Delta DJ20... switch problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
I purchased a DJ20 a few months ago (suckage already received ;-)) and I'm having an issue with the power switch. When I press the green ON button the machine will not power up every time. Basically when I push it, I have a 50/50 chance it won't start. If I immediately push it again, it starts. Anyone experience something like this from the DJ20? Maybe it's nature's way of telling me to buy a mag switch and relocate it to a better spot :eusa_thin. Reckon I should contact Delta, but wanted to see if y'all had any ideas.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Well, you could try repairing it. This may be a very simple thing, like a wire that's a little loose and only making contact half the time.

If the problem is inside the switch, then replacement is the better option, even if you could disassemble the body it's not worth the time. I'd call Delta and ask for a replacement. You'll still need to install it, but that's not terribly difficult (and much easier than shipping the jointer to a service center :))

If you've been wanting a fancy new switch anyway, well, what are you waiting for! Go spend some money :) Free shipping at Rockler!

Steve W

New User
Steve
Bob,

Not having seen the configuration (but knowing that it's pretty big :eek:) I can see two scenarios that would be possible:
1.) The switch directly controls the motor;
2.) The switch controls a latching relay that turns on the motor.

If it's #1, it's possible that the switch contacts are fried. If you don't want to wait for replacement, find a switch that's rated for twice the current draw.

If it's #2, the circuits will have to be checked out to find the source of the problem.

It is possible that there's a loose contact in either case, but it would be more likely to completely fail or you'd notice arcing.

If you're not comfortable around all this e-lectrical stuff, let me know and I'll come over with my meter and help you troubleshoot.

:kermit: Steve

BobN

New User
Bob
Are you sure that you just don't have some sawdust in the switch?

I have a DJ20, but I've never had any switch problems, the unit is about 8 years old. However the jointer that I had before the DJ20 had this problem about every 6 months. I would take an air hose and blow the switch out and it would be good for another 6 months. It was a 6 inch Jet.

Bob

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
Had the same bug with a Delta saw, took off the front cover of the switch and blew out the saw dust. Works fine after that.

Alan in Little Washington

New User
Alan Schaffter
I assume you have the standard mechanical start/stop buttons and not a mag starter. I had a similar problem with my Delta drillpress. Basically the plastic bracket holding the switch module was cracked so the buttons weren't fully depressing the buttons on the switch module (two different assemblies- the spring loaded red/green buttons assembly and a two-button (red/black) sealed switch module). Try removing the red/green buttons and cover plate (two screws), and just pressing the switch module buttons to see if they depress and "click" ok and the jointer starts and stops properly. If it the switch module works ok, it is the mechanical problem I described between the buttons and the switch module. If it still doesn't start properly, the switch module is probably bad.

If you are no longer on warranty, let me know if the switch module is bad, I have the replacement Delta sent me (and which I didn't need) and another one since I converted my DJ-20 to an LVC mag starter which uses a momentary contact switch module- you can have one for the price of shipping.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Thanks guys. Since I saw the problem day one, we can rule out sawdust. I think something is wrong with the switch.

Alan, I'll walk through the troubleshooting you suggest and see where that takes me. It is only a few months old so, it's still under warranty. I reckon I should get the customer service folks on the line.

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would take the front panel off (6 screws) and look at removing the switch mechanism from the cover plate. I think I had the same problem with mine originally and it was nothing more than a couple of loose screws or how the switch mechanism was aligned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS