Delta 6” Benchtop Jointer Advice

Fred J

Fred
User
Has anyone ever owned one of those and had issues with it operating? It’s a 37-071 model. I’ve had one since January’20 but it’s sat in the box until a couple months ago. I used it once last month after I set it up and it worked fine. When I went to use it last week, nothing. I called Delta this morning and the tech thought it was the switch. I ohmed the switch an there’s power flowing through it but it still doesn’t work. Could it be a bad motor after a one time use?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
With unit UNPLUGGED, rotate cutter head. Then plug it back in and try again. If this doesn't work, bypass the variable speed control, wiring directly from switch to motor. If this doesn't work, then most likely it's the motor. Could be stuck brushes.

Fred J

Fred
User
I bypassed the switch and wired straight to the motor with no luck. I called Delta and was told I can ship it or take to their authorized repair shop in Rocky Point, NC. Two hours down and back or ship 75lbs and hope it makes it in one piece. I’m not sure what I want to do at this point.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Stuck brush could be the culprit or the start capacitor. Could open it up and look. Not much to the motors. Then you can check windings. I had a motor did something similar and because the start capacitor was 10-12 buck I just bought one and replaced it. That was the issue.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Hope you solve your problem without a lot of hassle. I am impressed you found someone from Delta to talk with and it was a tech. What number did you call to find a tech. I have a lot of 1992 Delta machinery and it would be nice to have a number to call, if needed. I did not know they had any authorized repair shops anymore. I have a number for Delta for parts but they were worthless. Renovo is a good place to look for parts.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
The motor is a brush type or portable power tool type motor. No capacitor.
With virtually no use, its really unlikely the motor is bad.
Take the brushes out and re-install them. maybe they are stuck in their channel.
If it isn't that, then there's some bad connection somewhere that isn't letting power get to the brushes.

Fred J

Fred
User
Bob,

I think you’re on to the cause of my issue. I took the motor completely out of the unit yesterday and it ran once and wouldn’t turn back on. I let it sit for about 30 minutes but it wouldn’t start back up. I thought about opening the housing but I didn’t. Instead I tapped on the side of the housing and it ran like a dream.

I’ll follow your advice and look at the brushes. What causes the brushes to stick? Will reinstalling them resolve the issue long term?

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
That's both good and bad news.
The good: There is no burned out component that needs to be replaced.
The bad: Where in hell is the loose connection? Lots of wire connection possibilities. Check any slip-on connector for looseness. If found, crunch lightly with pliers so there's a good friction fit. The problem could be a slip-on connection at the brushes. That's going to take some doing to get to.
An experienced electrician once told me, "All electrical problems are mechanical".
There's a lot to that.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS