Delta 10" contractors saw, motor brushes?

jpaul

New User
John
I have had this saw for many years and I've gotten my moneys worth out of it, it's a model 36-540 type 2. Today I was using it and when I turned it back on the motor seemed to be running faster than normal. I made a cut, turned it off and back on and it was the same. When I made another cut it slowed down noticeably so I knew something was up. I looked in the end where the motor is and it looked like a miniature sun in there. Is that a sign the brushes need changing? It got dark on me and I didn't tear into it. I looked up that model and found some brushes for not much money, definitely worth making it run again but I didn't want to throw money out the door chasing solutions.
Thanks guys.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Essentially, the motor is that of a portable circular saw. It has a wound rotor with commutator bars. The commutator bars are where the brushes rub. If the commutator bars look good then a set of brushes is likely all you'll need. Scorch marks, black sections or commutator missing bars would define the armature as needing replacement.
The first three photos are of commutator bar damage that indicates armature replacement is needed. The last photo shows good commutator bars.
1  bars - 1.jpg1  bars - 2.jpg1  bars - 3.jpg1  bars - 4.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS