Deck Stain...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I've been doing some online research and I've heard good things about Penofin and Deckscapes. Anybody have any advice on staining a new pressure treated deck. Also, how long do I need to wait before staining. I've heard anywhere from none to 6 months. Flexner says a month is sufficient. What say ye... Thanks!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
The time it takes pressure treated wood to dry to the point that is will accept stain well is dependent on several factors. One is how long it was stored at the place you bought it (the MC it had when you bought it). Second is the exposure that it will be subjected to. If it is in full sun all day it will dry faster than if it is in the shade. I normally tell my clients to wait a month and I have had no one come back and tell me that they did and had any problems.
In addition to the product lines you mentioned there is another one you should consider. Especially if your deck is in a wooded or shaded environment.
http://www.defydeckstain.com/shop/p...d=147&osCsid=2ec4d4aad97934246dd3d5f80f70f1da

Defy stains have no organic oils/resins in them. The problem that many decks stained with oil-based stains have is mold and mildew, especially in an shaded environment. The organic oils are excellent food for the algae, mold and mildew. I found out the hard way after a sub-contractor told me that BLO would help keep deck boards from graying out, applied before they were stained. It keep them from turning gray...they turned black and green.
MTCW...HTH,
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors