Decimal, fraction or metric

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I have said since 4th grade that they tried to teach the metric system here and got it all torqued up.
They taught conversions, lots of complicated numbers to try to remember. 25.4mm = 1inch, etc.

What they should have done and everybody would be using metric now is to supply the schools with metric rulers.
Then we would all see 100mm and know how long that is. Forever do away with any other system. Simple.

But I would still use dividers and stop blocks.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Years back I discovered a 'workaround' for the metric/inch conversions. A set of 8" vernier calipers that has both scales on them and is easy to read. I have several sets of these and keep them in various areas of the shop. Woodworking machines are only going to be so accurate anyway because the stock is hand fed across the tooling. I think Mitutoyo still makes a set with these markings. Vernier calipers with 10ths of an inch and metric are a dime a dozen and for woodworking, not very practical, at least for me.
1   calipers.jpg
photoshopped inset of the caliper reading.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Well, saying wood is Imperial these days is not accurate. Buy any plywood recently? A 2 x 4 once upon a time was the rough cut size, but they keep shrinking. When I was a kid, they were 3/8s short. Then 1/2 short. Now another 32nd shaved off. Heck, now even I have seen a gallon of paint being 126 oz. But than again, there is the US gallon, and the Imperial gallon along with about 10 archaic measures. There are about 40 some odd definitions of a foot.

It would take some "reprograming" to visualize metric distances. Inches in decimal maybe easier. But at least we would not have missed Mars.

Of course, base 12 would have been a better choice to start with, but that is a whole different bunch of bananas.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, saying wood is Imperial these days is not accurate. Buy any plywood recently? A 2 x 4 once upon a time was the rough cut size, but they keep shrinking. When I was a kid, they were 3/8s short. Then 1/2 short. Now another 32nd shaved off. Heck, now even I have seen a gallon of paint being 126 oz. But than again, there is the US gallon, and the Imperial gallon along with about 10 archaic measures. There are about 40 some odd definitions of a foot.

It would take some "reprograming" to visualize metric distances. Inches in decimal maybe easier. But at least we would not have missed Mars.

Of course, base 12 would have been a better choice to start with, but that is a whole different bunch of bananas.
The short gallon (126 oz) is done to allow room for colorants/tints to mix custom colors

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I change systems depending on what I'm working on. It's hard to set rules because retrofitting existing conditions demands adaptation.

I prefer to build one-off wood projects with fractional inches since that's what most of my tools are. Designed millwork and casework is the same because it's still standard in this area. Ultra-precision to thousandths isn't typically necessary for custom furniture.

But I think decimal inches to the nearest thousanth would be the easiest way to transition to metric. I like to measure buildings this way so I don't have to worry about foot-inch confusion. But my tiny Bosch laser can't do it, so I actually measure in decimal feet, which is really convenient when paired with survey info, also in the same. The entirety of US land real estate has been recorded in decimal feet and those plats aren't going to migrate by themselves.

Metric is the easiest if you can get "hard" metric products in metric modules, but 36"W doors, 24" square ceiling tile, 36"H counters, 2"/4"/6"/8" tile are still standard in this country and probably will be for many more decades. Interestingly though, I worked in hard metric in a firm with offices overseas—different countries disagree whether to draw in millimeters, centimeters, or meters!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
The short gallon (126 oz) is done to allow room for colorants/tints to mix custom colors
YEs, but I am seeing it on paint that does not get additives. Same BS as the "covers x sq ft" where it covers half. I have seen drinks that are fractions odd. 11.123 oz or something. ( not even metric )

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Depending on what I'm doing I seem to move through all measuring systems. But what I prefer is relative measring, using proportions, story sticks, and simply laying it against what your fitting it to and marking from there. With what I do for a living it's imperial and relative that works the best. Fractions are simply a way of life.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
+++
Where metric fails, is who wants to "extract half a kilo of flesh"? Just does not have the ring to it.
Use a bit more than twice the muscle and extract a kilo of flesh.

The metric system wins every morning when I check my weight on the scale.

cfield60

jeff
User
Fractions or Metric, which ever you are comfortable with. In my cabinet shop, I use fractions. The most important issue for me, however, is that my miter saw fence scale and my table saw When fitting rip fence scale are both calibrated exactly with my dedicated tape measure. I also use an old Lufkin tape that produces the same dimension inside and outside. This I have found is not very common among tape measurers. When fitting inset doors and drawers and the like I always use adjustable sticks. Pro tip: rip off the tongue and groove from several pieces of white oak flooring(or any type) and you have an adjustable story stick for very close inside measurements. Just cut different lengths to work with various distances.

Jim Chelgren

New User
JC
Just an informal query on preferences. We are so used to fractional but it can be a real pain. Been working more off decimal but was considering forcing myself to retrain to metric. Would have to recalibrate a "scooch" and an "***" to mm.

What are your preferences?

Enough thinking. Finished my second cup of coffee so off to the shop.

Hello Scott, I'm JC and I find it's easier to work in mm if everyone in the shop is doing so as well. Finding the center of something, it is easier to divide by 2, or to space an opening evenly than using fractions. Unless you have a decimal tape which I've never seen, I wouldn't work in decimal, margin of errors in my case would be too high. I love mathematics but I'm 60 and my mind is about as sharp as my table saw blades that are pilling up cause they're dull. I know, just like my stale Dad Jokes. Have a good day.

Reactions: Bas

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Good point JC. Never seen a decimal tape measure.
Then we have number for screws, pounds for nails, and my drill bits are fractional, number and metric. We have an ounce, and a Troy ounce. ( Of course, the French have to leave their mark somewhere :) )

I guess this proves the great thing about standards is there are so many to choose from.

Base 12 makes binary much easier and I have been told it is more congruent with how the universe works. A more natural number. I wonder what we will find when we run into extraterrestrials.

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I use all 3 and would prefer metric. I wish the USA would transition to metric. Having ounces to measure volume and weight is wacko. IMO.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Actually, a cubit is handy and I use it for rough cutting logs. Just as I know my shoe is just about a foot and a long pace is about a yard. Not a horseman, so hands don't apply to me. Guess land is not done in rods. Space still in both acres and quarters.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Board-meter feet of lumber? HHhhhmmm!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Over the years I have had to learn to swing both ways. I agree that metric is the more straight forward system, but in this country we live in a world of fractions. Years ago I downloaded an app on my phone (Fractions Plus), it is an awesome tool for navigating fraction calculations.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS