December 2016 Contest - Homemade Gifts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Post pictures of a gift you have made for a Christmas present! My preference would be on a gift you MAKE this month of December 2016!

UPDATE: PLEASE keep your entries to one per contestant!

Last edited:

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Post pictures of a gift you have made for a Christmas present! My preference would be on a gift you MAKE this month of December 2016!

Michael - I am in the category of having ideas, even grand ones, of gift projects to make this December 2016.
Realistically these are only ideas. As of yet, I can not post pictures of any completed Dec 2016 gift projects. But hey, the month is yet young.... (eternal optimist). Ask again in a few weeks about completed gift items....

Henry

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
We have three more weeks. I am working on four gifts. Two must be shipped by the 18th, expect completion photos on the 17th.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Cookbook stands, made out of 100 % scraps

DSC006232.JPG

DSC006211.JPG

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Here's what I did last week after the Dovetail Workshop. I had a man come by for a one on one session in my shop and he wanted to build his while I built one.

The photos are from my gallery album from some past boxes. I am having trouble uploading the newest photos so I am still dead in the water for now. You get the idea from these. Look in the Gallery for other photos.

I have boxes done in walnut, oak and maple. No trips to the store hopefully.

tools_and_brass_0071.JPG

box_and_lid.jpg

DSC079981.JPG

DSC079961.JPG

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
But hey, the month is yet young.... (eternal optimist). Ask again in a few weeks about completed gift items....

Henry

Well Henry, any progress? I too am still in the planning stages. Got a good idea in process, but nothing to show yet!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Mine will involve turning......might be nothing to show lol....will see

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
A cribbage board for my nephew made from maple and red oak. Storage for cards and pegs. (The deck of cards in the picture is a pinochle deck since that was the first deck I could find laying around). Pair of strong rare earth magnets hold the two halves together, and soft green felt on the bottom. Cribbage is a pretty big deal in our family, going as far back as my great-grandfather. My father had his first (and only) 29 point hand the first game he played when teaching me!

11243801_742635720437_7475383373773864372_o.jpg11411832_742635730417_632350571377195008_o.jpg

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
We have three more weeks. I am working on four gifts. Two must be shipped by the 18th, expect completion photos on the 17th.

I'm with Phil! I've got 2 project designs, both from Woodsmith plans. 5ea of 1 and 3ea of the other. Hope I can get it all done in time :eek:

Augie

New User
Augie
Merry Christmas all, haven't posted in awhile but here you go. Christmas gift for my nephew's wife, Cherry with splines and inlay of purple heart. With six coats of WOP Christopher Jewery box (6).JPGChristopher Jewery box (2).JPGChristopher Jewery box (3).JPGChristopher Jewery box (4).JPGChristopher Jewery box (1).JPG

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is the gift I made for My Brother in law a puzzle of his beloved cat (one-eyed Jack - and yes, Jack only had one eye when they found him!) - I DID NOT complete this in December, so if that knocks me out of the contest, so be it

Jack7.jpg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Shipping tomorrow ! a full two days ahead of schedule. My last gift will be made this weekend, it does not need to be shipped and fresher is better-right?

Here are my bandsaw boxes, cherry with Watco oil finish and pink flocking
IMG_1922.JPG

IMG_1926.JPG

David Justice

David
Corporate Member
Humidor for my father. Hickory with 3/8 Spanish Cedar liner. Maple top.

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 201

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
A couple of service trays roughly 12 x 18 as sort of an experiment. The bottom is made from a laminated aluminum sign board (beLine Bond ACP [aluminum component panel]) that I got from a friend. How well the white surface will hold up remains to be seen but I have high hopes. The corners are finger jointed.

tray - 1.jpgtray - 3.jpgtray - 2.jpg

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I've been a busy little beaver...

Here are three ornaments my wife and I did this year. I do the turning and she adds the bird and the nesting foliage. The little one is 2-5/8" diameter and the larger ones are in the 3-1/2" diameter range. All from a solid block of wood. Holes are drilled and sanded before the blank is turned.

ornament - 1.jpg

ornament - 2.jpg

ornament - 3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors