December 2015 - Member Monthly Contest - Holiday gift made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I know lots of you are busy making great Christmas gifts and many are already done - congrats.

Post some photos of all those gifts here and help inspire those of us that are still thinking of what to make

I will be posting mine just before I ship it around the 20th

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
Here is what I am making. cheeseboakedge2.jpg This is a cheese serving board. About 5 inches by 13 inches.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Going for a dresser-top box for my Dad. Palm, Maple, Walnut and Ply.
photo 1.PNG

Attachments

• photo 3.PNG
    photo 3.PNG
    580.4 KB · Views: 188

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Wow! to both Mark and Dan. :eusa_clap I can already tell it will be difficult to choose a winner this month.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
Four of my clocks are ready to go, oak and maple. As you can see, an MDF one is still on it's side in the "paint booth".

Tom

IMG_1547 (1).jpg

IMG_1548.jpg

Well "it's about time." The last clock is ready to go.

IMG_1560.jpg

Last edited:

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Re-posted here per Ken's instructions for the contest. The full text and photos are posted here.
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57804

Christmas Ornaments - This is mostly what I've been making since August

This is a very shortened description - for more information see my full post

I've been making these since August. Some of you saw samples of these in my space at the Klingspore Extravaganza.

The first photo shows less than half of the small ornaments that I've been making. These start out as a 1" X 1" X about 4" block of wood.

The second photo shows a sample of the four sizes of 3D reindeer that I've been making. I've been making these and giving them away every Christmas Season for the past five years and this is year six. These are given away every year to any woman cashier, sales girl, waitress, nurse, etc. who helps me while I'm out shopping or dining during the Christmas Season.

The smallest reindeer that I make is only 1" tall, and I'm making hanging type earrings from them by drilling a tiny hole just under their antlers and attaching them via a ring large enough to clear the antlers and connect them to the ear piece.

I've made 337 of the largest reindeer so far this year

In the third picture you can see some of the larger ornaments that I've been making. They are 6-8" tall and 2-4" wide (ruler scale didn't make it into the photo)

The forth photo gives a better idea how tiny my smallest reindeer are. I had to switch to poplar to make these. The pine wouldn't reliably hold together and some reindeer cut from pine fell apart before I even finished cutting them.

I was able to make all of these much easier after I installed the two LED lamps on my scroll saw. They actually made doing all of this a pleasure.

Charley

Attached Images

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Charley,

For the purposes of the contest, please post the picture directly in this thread. No need to make people jump around during the voting phase.

And thank you for participating.

FlannelMan

New User
Philip
Hey Guys, I don't post much here, but thought I would participate since I have been busy with xmas gifts. Here is a dovetailed box I just completed. Red oak with air dried walnut lid. Finish is Danish oil, shellac and wax.

20151201_231636.jpg

As with all of my projects, I built this entirely with hand tools. This is only my second attempt at dovetails, and I was quite happy with the results.

Thanks!

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Here are a couple jewelry boxes I made several years ago. Walnut and Curly Maple.jpgCherryCurlyMaple.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just a suggestion to improve your odds of winning. Making multiple entries only makes you compete against yourself. That is perfectly fine, but if you really care about about winning (and I know a lot of us don't care that much) you're only watering down your potential votes.

But hey, the more entries the better. But to be fair, If you post two items in a single post it will get one entry in the poll, but if you post two items in two posts they will be treated as separate entries and have two entries listed in the poll.

It is completely your choice, but I wanted to clarify how I will treat this when I create the poll at the end of the month.

JasonG

New User
Jason
I made my wife a "breakfast in bed" tray...it's walnut and maple with wenge accents. Gave it to her early for use at a party we hosted.

Everything is half inch stock...and though my pics aren't great, i did use a mortise/tenon to join the 'rails' together. I have hidden Dominos making sure the rails hold to the the tray.

It's light, but sturdy. I used 3 coats of Danish oil, followed by clear wax. I ruined the wax part of the finish last Friday serving up approximately 40 moscow mules via the tray....!

Jason
20151203_070745.jpg 20151203_070814.jpg

cheryllewis

New User
cheryl
I know lots of you are busy making great Christmas gifts and many are already done - congrats.

Post some photos of all those gifts here and help inspire those of us that are still thinking of what to make

I will be posting mine just before I ship it around the 20th

Not very fancy but just the perfect thing for my Cade.Paneling December 2015 016.jpg

hoodoo

Roger
Senior User
Made my first beer caddy for a gift exhange at work (filled with cream soda of course). I am happy with how it turned out. I hope to batch out a few more before Christmas.
beercaddy02.jpg

beercaddy01.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Made my first beer caddy for a gift exhange at work (filled with cream soda of course). I am happy with how it turned out. I hope to batch out a few more before Christmas.
beercaddy02.jpg

beercaddy01.jpg

You know how us old guys are. At first I thought it read "Made my first beer candy" - I thought to myself this guy is a freaking genius, I would buy a bunch of that -:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS