December 2014, Member Monthly Contest - Holiday gift made

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl Fisher

New User
Carl
How about a gift to myself? This was originally for my inventory to sell however I like it so much that I believe it will be my Christmas gift to myself.

IMG_9583_lzn.jpg

IMG_9581_lzn.jpg

IMG_9582_lzn.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I wasn't going to put this in, but... I will explain why I did in a minute...

ipad_4.jpg

This is a piece of the Sapele that Mike Davis gave me when he taught me to sharpen my planes and then proceeded to show me how to surface (this piece of boat lumber - twist, warp, cup and bow) into a "square" board.
A friend has an IPAD and wanted something like this to hold it;

http://scoutmob.com/p/Solid-Walnut-...pla&signup=0&gclid=CKHm1qOwtcICFe7m7AodL1AAUA

So she says, can you make it for less than $50?
I said Uh, I think so...

ipad_1.jpg

Yea, that is a Samsung - I am not and "Apple nut" so I had to borrow one to make sure it worked...

Now, why did I post it?
I choose to make it completely by hand -
Bevel used to set and mark the angle - dado hand saw (didn't know there was one of those did you?) it was actually my dovetail saw...
Compass to mark the radius -
Coping saw to "cope" with the curved cut - and a Stanley 9 1/2 block plane to "smooth" the end grain.
Chisel out the angled groove (by hand)
Then, pull out the carving chisel to create the IPAD "button access" when it is in "portrait rest" position!

Planed surface with a light scraping only - no sandpaper!

BLO for a finish!

Later I found this site - makes for interesting reading;
http://www.woodenipadstands.com/press/

Wish I would have known... for $5 :eusa_doh:

Oh, well - mine is hand made - so it is more special! (no, not that kind of special - well sometimes!)

W Burton

New User
Bill
I believe The Boardsmith posted the link to the YouTube video of a fellow making these cutting board designs several months ago. I have been wanting to try my hand at the "chaotic pattern" and "3-D" designs since seeing the videos. I used maple, walnut, and a tiny bit of padouk on the chaotic pattern, and cherry, maple and walnut on the 3-D board. The boards are finished with mineral oil. This was a fun project. I didn't make them specifically for anyone, but I think they will end up being holiday gifts.

01f6ed380f5c5236123872d3d1501b91739f70b193.jpg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Bill, those cutting boards are really very, very nice! Although I am not sure I could make them, especially the 3D pattern, I got a little disoriented just looking at the picture you posted!:confused_

W Burton

New User
Bill
Bill, those cutting boards are really very, very nice! Although I am not sure I could make them, especially the 3D pattern, I got a little disoriented just looking at the picture you posted!:confused_

LOL, that 3-D board is a bit of a disorienting illusion, but the effect is increased in a photo. It wasn't really that difficult to make, just make sure you have lots of glue and clamps on hand!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I found some wide Tiger Maple and made these 4 11" plates to give to my Mom for Xmas. They will match the Tiger Maple Wine Cabinet I made for her a couple years ago.

DSC_0407_800x532_.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ken,
Those plates are REALLY nice!

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Bill, those are great boards. Just did my first end-grain board out of walnut and angire. Forgot to take a picture before I wrapped and mailed it. Do you have a pattern for the 3D? How would that sound on a mandolin top?

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
How about a gift to myself? This was originally for my inventory to sell however I like it so much that I believe it will be my Christmas gift to myself.

I love fountain pens and have quite a few nice ones, but I write so infrequently now that I have a hard time keeping the nibs from clogging from lack of use.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Woah Phil, I always thought of you as a stand up nice guy... But posting a cash reward and then your two awesome entries?!??! Foul play :).

Next week I will post some bowls I made this year for gifts. Fun thread idea!
Salem

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep Salem, this is one of the few contests that we didn't eliminate Board Members from. Since the voting will be strictly by the members there should be no question of inside collusion.

However Phil did suggest the first category and then entered his low-boy in that category. But hey, there are many more great entries and the votes will tell.

A lot of great projects have been entered and that is the ultimate goal. I hope mine will get at least 1 vote. Too much great competition for me to expect to win. Wait for the monthly contest theme of greatest mistake - that I have a chance for.

Please do get your bowls posted before the deadline - coming up soon.

eyekode

New User
Salem
To be clear I was kidding :). I like the idea regardless of any awards. And It is great to see PhilS' work!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
And I was kidding also. Phil's timing for this was excellent and I hope he does well in the voting.

This is the first of a hopefully ongoing effort to highlight our members work. I congratulate all who have contributed. There are many worthy entries.

In case it wasn't obvious this is the BOD attempt to replace the Calendar Contest. Printed calendars have kind of gone the way of the flip-phone, so we are trying to modernize our approach to these things somewhat to still provide member recognition in different ways.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Fred, beautiful plate...very well done! That said, I had to look twice to be sure it was a plate; with the shirt in the pic, my first thought was that you made a BIG belt buckle! :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors