December 2014, Member Monthly Contest - Holiday gift made

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlayell

New User
Jerry
This is a wine cabinet made from used pallets (red and white oak), The boards were planed to 5/8" thick. It is stained with light oak and sprayed with two coats of poly.

IMG_0603.jpg

W Burton

New User
Bill
Bill, those are great boards. Just did my first end-grain board out of walnut and angire. Forgot to take a picture before I wrapped and mailed it. Do you have a pattern for the 3D? How would that sound on a mandolin top?

Thanks so much! I don't have a pattern, but I watched a video on YouTube that shows how it was done. It is much easier to see how it is done than to try to describe it. (I know this, because I just spent some time trying to describe the process in words unsuccessfully.) There are several steps to it, but it really isn't that complex. Since this fellow used millimeters, I did, too.

I have made a couple more boards with maple/walnut/padouk, and they make for a good color combination as well.

I believe I will stick to spruce for my mandolin tops. And avoid end grain like the plague. :gar-Bi

[video=youtube_share;5n0LdU8ZOJU]http://youtu.be/5n0LdU8ZOJU[/video]

USMCSergeant

New User
Keena
I made this sliding lid cedar box for someone, it holds their holiday drink of choice. I put some handplane shavings in the box for cushioning, and it looks great too I think. I fired it with a blowtorch around some of the edges and finished with a couple coats of lacquer, then wax.

111111.jpg22222.jpg

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
This is a wine cabinet made from used pallets (red and white oak), The boards were planed to 5/8" thick. It is stained with light oak and sprayed with two coats of poly.

View attachment 14243
Excellent job of re-purposing something destined for a landfill...
Love your hardware choices...
a lot of work and dedication for a gift!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I made this sliding lid cedar box for someone, it holds their holiday drink of choice. I put some handplane shavings in the box for cushioning, and it looks great too I think. I fired it with a blowtorch around some of the edges and finished with a couple coats of lacquer, then wax.

View attachment 14265View attachment 14264
VERY nice Keena!
Tell me how to get on your Christmas list!!!!

rcarmac

Board of Directors, Secretary
Robert
Staff member
Corporate Member
Just a Loader from the Woodcraft magazine for my 3 year old nephew
DSC_00914.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS