December 19 at 8:00 pm Sketchup Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Dave Richards has agreed to do a online Sketchup workshop. This is the first online workshop that I have seen sponsored by NCWW. There is a 15 person limit. This will be a beginners workshop. If you would like to participate, post to this thread.

For those unfamiliar with Sketchup, it is a 3 dimensional design software with a robust free version. Woodworkers use Sketchup to design projects or alter designs to fit their needs. Sketchup also has a large warehouse with many designs that can be downloaded.

Steve H.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
If you don't use SketchUp, you should consider doing so. It is an amazing program, and it's free. Dave Richards is an absolute professional with SketchUp. We are fortunate to have his participation in this group.

Dave may have some recommendations, but I suggest that if you are new to SketchUp, download it, install it, and start poking around a little. There are some great YouTube videos on using it. My favorites are by a guy names Jay Bates. However, he teaches on an older version, and he's not planning to update. Some of his techniques are different from Dave's. I'd go with Dave's recommendations first. Dave really knows his stuff. He does a lot of the work for Fine Woodworking magazine.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Steve,

Although I am not a novice using SketchUp, I'd like to participate in the Dec 19th workshop. If enrollment limits are met, I'd be willing to drop out to allow newer users to join in. Dave is a great resource and I'm always looking for ways to improve my use of this great tool. I presume that he will be using GotoMeeting as he has offered.

Thanks.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I would like to also participate I am a novice for sure - I got frustrated with sketchup and removed from my computer a long time ago. I assume someone will be sending out per-requirements, like software versions needed, on-line screen sharing site url, call-in telephone number and such... That's 8:00 PM EST correct?

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
If you don't use SketchUp, you should consider doing so. It is an amazing program, and it's free. Dave Richards is an absolute professional with SketchUp. We are fortunate to have his participation in this group.

Dave may have some recommendations, but I suggest that if you are new to SketchUp, download it, install it, and start poking around a little. There are some great YouTube videos on using it. My favorites are by a guy names Jay Bates. However, he teaches on an older version, and he's not planning to update. Some of his techniques are different from Dave's. I'd go with Dave's recommendations first. Dave really knows his stuff. He does a lot of the work for Fine Woodworking magazine.

+1 to Mike's comments. If you are new to SketchUp and plan on participating in this workshop, you should download the latest free version and start playing around w/ it. That's how I got started a couple of years ago, and now I design all my projects in SketchUp, although I am far from proficient yet.

As Mike said, there are some great tutorials available online. The best I found was "SketchUp For Woodworkers, part 1 & 2" by Bob Lang at Popular Woodworking. A friend had the two CD set and let me borrow it. Not sure if you can find it free online.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
I would also like to participate. I have an older version of Sketchup and played with it a little. I got frustrated early and gave up. This will be a great opportunity to get back into it with Dave's excellent help.
Thanks Dave!

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
To get the latest version, go to this link, enter the requested information, and download SketchUp Make, which is the name of the free version.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
I would like to also participate I am a novice for sure - I got frustrated with sketchup and removed from my computer a long time ago. I assume someone will be sending out per-requirements, like software versions needed, on-line screen sharing site url, call-in telephone number and such... That's 8:00 PM EST correct?

8:00 pm eastern time is correct. Dave will be in contact with the participants to provide the URL and requirements.

Steve H.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
If there is room I would like to join in. I really want to learn this

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
So far, we have:

1. Pokey (Jerry)
2. McRabbet (Rob)
3. RonJ103 (Jeremy)
4. CrealBilly (Jeff)
5. RandyJ (Randy)
6. Cles69 (Cles)
7. Volksdad (Glen)
8. Phil S (Phil)

Just over half way there.

Steve H.

RickC

New User
Rick
Any chance this session will be recorded? I have another committment that evening but would like to get started with Sketch Up. Like someone before me I tried it a couple of times and got frustrated and left it behind...

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I'd like to participate, too. :D

It looks like we'll have a pretty good crowd. Thanks folks.

Rick, I'll see if I can record it but the last time I did, I had troubles with it.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I definitely want to be part of this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors