DaveO

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PrplHrtJarHead

Dave:),

If you don't mind, where did you get the plans for this? I would like to do something similar, but I would have to reverse the layout to fit my house.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
PHJH: That was my first commisioned furniture piece. The client got the concept from Home Depot, a very rough drawing with basic outside dimensions. He had very specific sizes for the drawers and cabinet, so they would fit his filing system and CPU plus back-up battery system. After agreeing on the price and paying me in full he proceeded to go out of town for 2 weeks. I was unable to verify any measurement, and just winged it. I will see if I have my notes and sketches, and out of that we could come up with a plan. Dave:)

P

PrplHrtJarHead

Dave,

Well, you did a great job on that desk. Don't fret the notes and such. I didn't know this was a commissioned piece. I appreciate the offer of help, but out of respect for the work you put into planning, design and craftsmanship, I cannot copy it, even in the reverse. If it was a pay for plan or a free plan thing, no sweat, but that's your original work.

Thanks.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Mike, I wouldn't think of it like that. To start, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery:icon_thum I really didn't "design" it, my client had the basic look he wanted, the wood selection, finish appearance and construction style where dictated by his kitchen cabinets (it was to match, seeing it would be in the kitchen), and the overall size had to fit in a specific area of the kitchen. All I had to do was figure out how to build it to all those specification and fit in the filing and computer equipment he requested. What made it most difficult is that he was out of town and left me no contact number so I couldn't double check any dimensions. For example I was given a specific cabinet size, specific drawer size and overall length of the piece. After determining how all that would fit together with the face frame size I wanted, it didn't leave enough room for the knee space under the desk. My problem was: do I make it longer and overhang the space it was designed to go in or make the knee box too small to comfortably use. I ended up finding a, hopefully, happy balance between the two. I ended up making about $500 in profit on the piece because I greatly undersold it. But what else I did earn is invaluable.... the knowledge to never undersell myself again. If I put my mind to it I can make something very nice and professional looking, and I deserve to be compensated for that ability. So please remember my lesson if you decide to sell any work, not everybody has the skills to make things from wood nor the knowledge to operate the needed equipment. If you are interested in making something like it I would be flattered. Dave:)

P

PrplHrtJarHead

Smooth salesman....:lol:

OK, if you can, and there is no rush, I would be interested in viewing what you've got on the desk.

I really like how you did the whole piece, it's fantastic. I want to build it for my home office, which is currently occupied by my oldest son! Anyway, he needs a decent place to do some work. I would like to work that design a bit, reversing it and fit it in to the built shelves I'm planning for that room.

One thing I've learned from the Marines, never undersell yourself. It's too bad that worked out that way, but I think that comes from experience, knowing your value. Plus, most people, honestly, don't like to put a dollar sign on their work because it's like bragging. And most people are uncomfortable about tootin' their own horn. Now once it's a living, that's different! Obvioulsly, you know that. I think this is especially true of artists, which I consider woodworkers to be.

Did I mention this before? This site and the people who are members here are a class act.
Anyway, thanks once again for whatever you can come up with from your notes.:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Andrew, I was very happy with the way it turned out. And the guy I made it for got a sweet deal:slap:

Mike, I think that I have everything on that desk in a file. I will see what can be deciphered, and see if I can scan it and send it to you.
Dave:)

P

PrplHrtJarHead

DaveO said:
Mike, I think that I have everything on that desk in a file. I will see what can be deciphered, and see if I can scan it and send it to you.
Dave:)

Thanks a bunch. I REALLY appreciate it.

Charles M

New User
Charles
Dave,

That really is a beautiful desk! I tried my hand at custom work many years ago and many of my customers were referred by a local unfinished furniture store. The people they sent mostly wanted what they saw at the store but in a different size so they were shocked and/or put off that I wanted 3X as much for a custom piece. I had to underprice a lot of things just to keep working so I learned your lesson well. I finally had my fill and came to work for Freud for a steady paycheck.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks, Charles, I've always wondered if you were a woodworker, or just very knowledgeble on the subject of blades, bits and all. I am glad to hear that you are. That makes your advice even more valid. Like going to Woodcraft and knowing that the staff there actually knows something about woodworking vs. going to Home Depot where they often don't even know where the wood is. I appreciate your compliment. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS